Gov Wolf closes all non essential included are all machine shops! - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in PA View Post
    Is there no moderator for this forum? Certainly did not take long to go off topic. Perhaps someone can start a new thread if they have relevant info. on manufacturing in Pennsylvania at this time. Probably no point though. I am sure a new thread would quickly devolve also.

Sure have to wade through deep crap to find any useful information on this site. Almost not worth bothering at all.

Bill
    I'd rather hear more about the Korean girls in Pasadena than any of this other horseshit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Remind me again how the old USSR went from an agrarian society to one of the top industrial societies with a truly massive high quality export economy.

I seem to have missed it.
    Unless I've been under a rock, Russia doesn't export cars, not sure I've ever seen one in Germany or the UK, unless your thinking of Trabbies. Certainly never seen when any Russky cars in the US

Not sure I've seen many if any modern machine tools out of Russia. Seen a manual few lathes, but they might have been Czech or maybe Bulgarian?

Their not a large exporter of measuring instruments. I have a quality Russian bore gage, but I had to buy that used from somebody in Kiev (not part of Russia btw)

So please what is their truly massive high quality export economy sending to us that is recognizable other than Oil and Gas which is their major export.

Raw material does come to mind, I've had 17-4 from Russia. I think I've had 7075 from Russia, but it's not common.

Russia’s Top 10 Exports 2019

From the article

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russian global shipments during 2019. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from Russia.
    1.Mineral fuels including oil: US$220.8 billion (52.2% of total exports)
    2.Iron, steel: $18.1 billion (4.3%)
    3.Gems, precious metals: $15.3 billion (3.6%)
    4.Machinery including computers: $9 billion (2.1%)
    5.Wood: $8.6 billion (2%)
    6.Fertilizers: $8.4 billion (2%)
    7.Cereals: $7.9 billion (1.9%)
    8.Aluminum: $5.8 billion (1.4%)
    9.Electrical machinery, equipment: $5.6 billion (1.3%)
    10.Copper: $5.2 billion (1.2%)

California (2x), Texas, and New York have greater GDP's than Russia.

LOL I just realized you were joking!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    I'd rather hear more about the Korean girls in Pasadena than any of this other horseshit.
    Hearing about them is one thing, but as with all else here - Pictures or it didnt happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remind me again how the old USSR went from an agrarian society to one of the top industrial societies with a truly massive high quality export economy.

I seem to have missed it.

The point, in case it passes you by, is that China and the old USSR have nothing at all in common except a little lip-service to a dead ideology.

China is not and has not been communist for decades. If anything it's closer to Singapore, a corporate State controlled by a small oligarchy where the citizens can get rich as long as they stay in line. Maybe the Chinese leadership cadre learned from the example of the USSR what *not* to do.

It's your mindset that hasn't changed since the 1970's. China certainly has. I have no love at all for their Govt or their mercantilism but I can recognise where they're at these days.

PDW
    I was in a Chinese restaurant in Manchester last year. There was table laid out in the middle for about 20 people. This was on a Tuesday lunch time, say 1.00 pm. I asked the waiter who the table was for. He said " Chinese tourists, they're out buying watches at the moment, they'll be here any minute ".

Sure enough the Chinese tourists arrived within about 10 minutes, mainly couples about 40 to 45 years old. All of them were admiring and showing off shiny new watches. They were mostly Rolex, some cheapskates only had Omega.

Rolex Communist's eh !

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Hearing about them is one thing, but as with all else here - Pictures or it didnt happen
    The pictures are all stored in the old noggin. I'll be sure to get some when this all over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Unless I've been under a rock, Russia doesn't export cars, not sure I've ever seen one in Germany or the UK, unless your thinking of Trabbies. Certainly never seen when any Russky cars in the US

Not sure I've seen many if any modern machine tools out of Russia. Seen a manual few lathes, but they might have been Czech or maybe Bulgarian?

Their not a large exporter of measuring instruments. I have a quality Russian bore gage, but I had to buy that used from somebody in Kiev (not part of Russia btw)

So please what is their truly massive high quality export economy sending to us that is recognizable other than Oil and Gas which is their major export.

Raw material does come to mind, I've had 17-4 from Russia. I think I've had 7075 from Russia, but it's not common.

Russia’s Top 10 Exports 2019

From the article

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russian global shipments during 2019. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from Russia.
    1.Mineral fuels including oil: US$220.8 billion (52.2% of total exports)
    2.Iron, steel: $18.1 billion (4.3%)
    3.Gems, precious metals: $15.3 billion (3.6%)
    4.Machinery including computers: $9 billion (2.1%)
    5.Wood: $8.6 billion (2%)
    6.Fertilizers: $8.4 billion (2%)
    7.Cereals: $7.9 billion (1.9%)
    8.Aluminum: $5.8 billion (1.4%)
    9.Electrical machinery, equipment: $5.6 billion (1.3%)
    10.Copper: $5.2 billion (1.2%)

California (2x), Texas, and New York have greater GDP's than Russia.

LOL I just realized you were joking!!
    Lada used to sell lots of cars in europe
    and Stankoimport was a rather common name on metal working machines, they probably were not sold in the USA under their own name though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We are hoping to escape Saturday afternoon with 2 VMC's, 2 tumblers, HEM auto saw, belt sanders, drill presses, 3000lbs of 6061 and about 7000lbs of packaged inventory. Its not the order we planned to do things but she and I can just go hang out out in the woods in Idaho.

Attachment 282391
    We made it, the scale north of Jackpot had me at 48,426, and my wife with her ford explorer at 11,970. We used elwbow length bags for handeling gas pump stuff, and brought our food. About half way here it crossed my mind that nobody is talking about shoes, we step in god knows what and track it everywhere. We lysol everything that touches anything and throw away the bags we used for mittens. We will self quarentine for a couple weeks so we know for sure we didn't bring anything here. We have been very carefull but who realy knows the rules?

8. Likes Finegrain, shpxnvz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We made it, the scale north of Jackpot had me at 48,426, and my wife with her ford explorer at 11,970. We used elwbow length bags for handeling gas pump stuff, and brought our food. About half way here it crossed my mind that nobody is talking about shoes, we step in god knows what and track it everywhere. We lysol everything that touches anything and throw away the bags we used for mittens. We will self quarentine for a couple weeks so we know for sure we didn't bring anything here. We have been very carefull but who realy knows the rules?
    to me it sounds like you made your own rules, and to me they sound pretty healthy.
    but what are you going to do after your two weeks quarantine?
    others may not have the common sense you have.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    Lada used to sell lots of cars in europe
    and Stankoimport was a rather common name on metal working machines, they probably were not sold in the USA under their own name though.
    Ok so that qualifies Russia as being a one of the top industrial societies with a truly massive high quality export economy.

Anything else they used to sell?

LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in comparison to you Cro Magnon man was scholar.
    your brain hasn't developed far beyond that of the early hominids.
    deep down under you are still not capable of thinking in others terms than those of the tribe you belong to.
    what a pitiful specimen you truly are.
    Takes a major lack of class to post something like this, is that all you have is insults and put downs for those that don't share your views?

12. Likes digger doug, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Ok so that qualifies Russia as being a one of the top industrial societies with a truly massive high quality export economy.

Anything else they used to sell?

LOL.
    The problem with people like you is that I consistently over-estimate your level of knowledge & intelligence. I'll have to stop that.

When I made that comment, it was SARCASM! As anyone who had even half a clue should have known.

The USSR at its peak was making mainly crap - some machine tools from Poland and other Eastern Bloc countries excepted (but the electrics - urgh). China makes way better consumer level stuff than the USA does. Mind you that isn't as hard as it once would have been, because you gave up & stopped making a lot of stuff.

The *POINT* was, calling China communist and lumping it in with the old USSR is simply wrong, sloppy thinking and demonstrates an astonishing level of ignorance. They had very little in common other than trying and abandoning a dysfunctional ideology.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They had very little in common other than trying and abandoning a dysfunctional ideology.
    I wouldn't say that China abandoned it. They constantly modified what we think of as "communism" to suit their own needs, true.

In fact, I think this is now a lot like the traditional Bureaucracy that China had for 2,000 years ... which, at its root, is pretty communistic. The idea of "individual rights" is way far back on the rear burner, and private property is not a big part of the society. Making money is fine but the idea of huge corporations doing whatever they want ? Still doesn't exist here. Not going to, either

Lots of the "communist" parts of the society are still here, just coated with a nice layer of whitewash to make foreigners happy. There is still no private home ownership, for example. When you "buy" you get a 70 year lease, whoopee. Companies can do what they want, as long as what they want is what the government wants, too Mostly what they abandoned was micro-managing.

It's more like they bent communism around to fit what they already had and understood. It's quite suitable for here ...

(oh sorry, Fat Grunt says we've only been here six weeks so I guess this is not possible ...)

sixweeksold.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in comparison to you Cro Magnon man was scholar.
    your brain hasn't developed far beyond that of the early hominids.
    deep down under you are still not capable of thinking in others terms than those of the tribe you belong to.
    what a pitiful specimen you truly are.

He does have that capitalization thing down pretty well though, y'know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Takes a major lack of class to post something like this, is that all you have is insults and put downs for those that don't share your views?
    Obviously the answer is yes and that same lack of class is shown by several other posters who constantly insult any who disagree with them.

Clearly a bunch of flamers.

Now my question is; why would anyone even want to listen to such a person let alone follow their advice? Intolerance is the first step to tyranny and every tyrant in history has had supporters who share their rigid views and demand that all other views be suppressed, by violence if necessary.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    He does have that capitalization thing down pretty well though, y'know.
    in Just-
    spring when the world is mud-
    luscious the little
    lame balloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
    running from marbles and
    piracies and it's
    spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
    old balloonman whistles
    far and wee
    and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
    spring
    and

the

goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
    far
    and
    wee

Sorry, the software butchers the spacing, wrecks half the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl
    Now my question is; why would anyone even want to listen to such a person let alone follow their advice? Intolerance is the first step to tyranny and every tyrant in history has had supporters who share their rigid views and demand that all other views be suppressed, by violence if necessary.
    Thanks, Scott. Considering the source that made me laugh almost as much as e e cummings

But not
    as

good-Naturedly

Clearly a bunch of flamers
    Maybe ... or then again, maybe not ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    And that's different from the US ?

Except for the "competence" part, I mean

Far from being the Death of Communism, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that two or three months from now, when people need stuff and China is running full tilt, making deals and satisfying demand, fully operational while the products of the US (promissory notes signed by Goldman-Sachs with a "non-payable in the event you need the money" clause) are worthless ... this will be a tip in power to the Chinese side. Lots of countries that don't give a darn about political labels but want effective government are going to compare. And quite possibly re-align.

We shall see.
    100% agree that China is likely to come out the winner on this one. Western powers seem almost eager to destroy their economies in order to "fight the coronavirus". Saw this morning that the U.S. Surgeon General is suggesting that everyone (330 million people) should assume they are contagious and act accordingly.

My question is: if we all assume we're infected how is hiding at home and having things delivered any safer than going out yourself to get them? One infected order picker, packager, shipper, or delivery driver could infect thousands. And all this manic cleaning and other extreme measures are rapidly burning through supplies that can never be manufactured and replaced as fast as the panic stricken hordes are consuming them. Just this morning the "news" ran a story that a local hospital was going through 40,000 masks a day. WTF? How long can this insanity continue?

My bet is that at some future date many people including some hospital personnel are going to severely regret using up supplies that might be critically needed at some future point if some other threat surfaces. Imagine terrorists releasing airborne toxins upwind of a population that had exhausted the supplies of all protective gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, the very people getting on national news agencies saying the president doesn't have his act together are blind when it comes to looking into the mirror and seeing that they themselves haven't got a clue either. All I can say is wow, just wow.

20. Likes ChipSplitter, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To return to the original topic.................

A co-worker of mine is a personal friend of State Senator Kevin Daley. He talked with him on Friday afternoon and Saturday. According to Daley, Trump requested that Michigan's manufacturing industry keeps the lights on to help the economy stay afloat and "ultimately recover". Daley said that Governess Whitmer has no intentions of shutting down Michigan factories.

Take heart, Michiganders!!

22. Likes Dualkit, jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

to me it sounds like you made your own rules, and to me they sound pretty healthy.
    but what are you going to do after your two weeks quarantine?
    others may not have the common sense you have.
    We are not much for social gathering anyhow, we are 5 miles north of a village of 273 people (many of those only come here in the summer), 27 miles north of a town of 3000 people. We have plenty of food and most everything we need for several months including "stuff to do".
    Our plan of moving here was to "social distance" our selves just about as much as we could and still be able to run our business. With all this crap going on it seems to be just about as good of a place to watch it from anyhow.

24. Likes Ox, digger doug, jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfalco View Post
    Interesting, the very people getting on national news agencies saying the president doesn't have his act together are blind when it comes to looking into the mirror and seeing that they themselves haven't got a clue either. All I can say is wow, just wow.
    It is pretty obvious there are a lot of people in here that are part of the problem as hoarding and panicking just make things worse. From some of the reactions it is obvious we have some germaphobes among us which of course those people are going to be prone to hoarding things like protective masks, surgical gloves and hand sanitizers in bulk so many that really need them will do without. Also you see very defensive reactions when obviously someone struck a nerve when someone's weren't posts even pointed at them. To me that points to someone who can't put themselves in someone else's place and only thinks of themselves, that person is probably prone to hoarding and panicking in the situation we have. Probably a guy who would shove a little old lady out of the way to grab the last loaf of bread.

Situations like this people show their true colors and I have to admit very few people in here totally disgust me, but that list has grow lately. A good recent example is a guy starting a thread wondering his rights as a salaried worker who was told he needed to start burning his vacation and sick time if he wanted to be paid. Without even knowing his background (maybe the guy had work 80 hour weeks for the last year and paid for 40) a couple guys flat out told the guy "tough luck" and don't complain, some of them in not a very nice manner. So a couple guys come out of the wood work here to kick a guy when he is down. Nice work, fellas.

26. Likes ChipSplitter, Cole2534 liked this post