What's new
What's new

Grade 8 or SS ?

Dead Eye

Plastic
Making some new T bolts for the ones I stripped on my mini lathe. Should I use stainless or Grade 8 ? They are 6mm dia..

Generally, a grade 8 bolt will be significantly stronger than commonly available stainless bolts. Stronger still are 'socket head cap screws' which, if I remember correctly, average around 20% stronger than grade 8.

Yes, grade 8 or better. I tried using some stainless cap screws on my QC tool holder and they quickly started to mushroom at the tips. Grade 8 are fine after years of use.

What is the problem your trying to solve ? ? Cheap grade 2 threads ?
or extra loose threads that would rip out with any grade ?

I would suggest grade 5, so you don't break out the casting next time.

stainless is tough, but not hard. Not so good for bolts, unless your main consideration is outdoor weathering. Plus, stainless will gall, unless you use anti-seize religiously. Use grade 8. Or even grade 5.

Thanx all. Tomorrow I will head off to the local "Fastener Emporium" and look for some suitable (square headed if possible) grade 8 bolts.

cap head screws....

Hmm, Would that be:

• Hex head cap screws.
  • Button head cap screws.
  • Square head cap screws.
  • Socket head cap screws.
  • Flat head cap screws.
  • Elevator head cap screws.
  • Phillips round head cap screws.
  • Slotted round head cap screws.
  • Low head cap screws.
  • Safety round head cap screws.
  • Tamper proof cap screws.
  • Non reversible cap screws.
  • T-Slot head cap screws
  • Safety wire hex head cap screws
  • Safety wire Socket head cap screws

Grade 3.5,5,8, 9.9,11,12,16,???

Material, Carbon steel, Stainless, Brass, Monel, Haynes, Aluminum, ????

Zinc coated, Phosphate coated, Black oxide coated, Galvanized coated???

Sorry, I couldn't resist. My family owned the largest fastener supply house in Tennessee for 70 years so I had 30+ years of "letting the customer know what they wanted".....

I don't miss those days one bit.

Ring Ring Ring,
"Ledford Machine and Supply!!".
"Yeah, This is Joe at M&M Mars, I need 1000 1/4-20X1 cap screws 1000 1/4x1-1/4 cap screws,,,,,,."
"Great, What kind of cap would you like on that sir?"
"Uh, just regular caps will be fine. Hurry, these are a rush, were refilling our maintenance bins."
"No problem, I'll send em right over."

Go back, weigh out and box a few hundred pounds of different sizes of hex head cap screws, hand off to the delivery guy.

Ring Ring Ring,
"Ledford Machine and Supply!!"
"Yeah, This is Joe at M&M Mars again. You sent me the wrong bolts!!!"
"Im Sorry sir, What seems to be the problem?"
"I ordered cap screws, You know, the ones that use a hex key???"
"Oh, my apologies, I must have misunderstood you. So, you want socket head cap screws, correct?"
"NO!! I don't want the ones that take a socket, I want the ones that take a hex key!!"
"OK, I understand now, My delivery guy hasn't made it back yet but I'll box up the correct ones and deliver myself."
"Good, make sure this doesn't happen again or we may have to look for an alternate supplier"
"Sorry sir, I'll make sure to take better notes next time."

OK, Reminiscing, I'm done yapping now......

Back