Grading digital calipers
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Grading digital calipers

My old digital Mitutoyo 8" digital calipers died and need to be replaced. I'm retired and have a shop and trying to decide if I need a $200 mitutoyo or replace with a $75 brand X. I am 78 and don't need it to last 20 years. Just needs to be fairly accurate and repeatable. Thanks for any help in deciding.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you really need an 8 inch? I have not used mine, or the 12 inch, in years, but have several 6 inch ones that I use frequently. There may be a good brand 6 inch on eBay for a fair price.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd buy 6" Mitutoyo because nothing else I've seen is as reliable or has as good battery life. They just work. 6" is cheaper than 8" and most people probably don't need 8". Depends on what you make. Sure, Harbor Fright calipers work pretty well, but the zero point drifts around a bit with temperature or time and I just like nicer tools.

5. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies so far. I do need the 8". I could use 12" but not often enough to justify the cost.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mitutoyo is the gold standard, of course.

I have a pair of 6", IP rated ones at the shop, and a 4" set at the CAD desk for general use. Fits 99% of my work. Would never give them up as my daily driver.

But I needed a 12" set for dealing with the occasional bigger object (pallets, big one-off stuff, etc), and didn't want to spend $400 on Mitutoyo for such light-duty and rare work, so I snagged the Shars (!) Aventor 12" digital caliper for $100. I have been nothing but absolutely impressed with them. They hit the price/performance curve perfectly. These are just the right step up from the generic, often rebranded cheap Chinese digital calipers, for not much more.

When I get around to it, I'll pick up a 6" for keeping at the bandsaw, and these are my GoTo recommendation when friends who are't machinists ask me what digital calipers to buy for light-duty use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just visited the shars site. There are enough different aventor 12" models to start my head spinning. Is the ISO accreditation necessary? Looks like this might be a good way to go.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 70retired View Post
    I just visited the shars site. There are enough different aventor 12" models to start my head spinning. Is the ISO accreditation necessary? Looks like this might be a good way to go.
    I would ignore the accreditation versions, unless you are in an ISO shop where literally everything is documented.

I would probably also ignore the IP67 version, which has improved sealing for use around significant amounts of coolant (the standard one is IP65, so you can occasionally splash it and it'll be fine).

The tradeoff to make is Big Screen, without absolute scales, or standard screen with absolute scales. The difference is that the big one needs to be set every time you turn it on - you close the caliper and hit Origin to zero it. The smaller screen absolute one never loses position. Making the decision between the two is up to you and your eyesight!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just get used ones off fleebay. Pawn shop, KSL, or whatever.

Just looked Amazon has 8" for $140.00

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-Adva.../dp/B00WML8TEO

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Just get used ones off fleebay. Pawn shop, KSL, or whatever.

Just looked Amazon has 8" for $140.00

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-Adva.../dp/B00WML8TEO
    Not a chance on those! Very strong probability they are counterfeit.

You are safe if sold and fulfilled by Amazon or by one of the real Mitutoyo dealers. When I bought mine I think I bought it from MSI-Viking on Amazon. Mitutoyo rep told me they were a legit vendor.

12. Likes tnmgcarbide liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that looks way too cheap, and is from a chinese seller . lots of lookalike fakes , and amazon is not as scrutinous of
    their vendors as they once were . no way in hell i'd buy a Japanese caliper from a chinese vendor . TGTBT.

amazon doesn't sell anything .be careful.... i'd bet anything that's counterfeit .

i'd buy from a reputable authorized MTI dealer .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will get flamed for this, but the Chinese Brand Shahe is quite good. I have several and recommend them.

15. Likes 4GSR, jariou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's nothing wrong with Chinese calipers IF you get a good set. The problem is that whether you will get a good set or not is mostly up to chance. Their current exports are rather hit or miss in that respect. If you buy Mitutoyo it's rather more likely that you will get a good set, to say the least.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are several Amazon sellers that offer those calipers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00I3UA89C

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I decided to go with an 8"aventor from amazon. Time will tell whether or not it was a bad move. Thanks for all the help.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    that looks way too cheap, and is from a chinese seller . lots of lookalike fakes , and amazon is not as scrutinous of
    their vendors as they once were . no way in hell i'd buy a Japanese caliper from a chinese vendor . TGTBT.

amazon doesn't sell anything .be careful.... i'd bet anything that's counterfeit .

i'd buy from a reputable authorized MTI dealer .
    Yes and no.

When the ad states "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", I think it might be true. And when there's a link that says "free Amazon support included", it makes me think it might be true. But what do I know?

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old digital Mitutoyo 8" digital calipers died and need to be replaced. I'm retired and have a shop and trying to decide if I need a $200 mitutoyo or replace with a $75 brand X. I am 78 and don't need it to last 20 years. Just needs to be fairly accurate and repeatable. Thanks for any help in deciding.
    Gordon is the best person to ask. Personally if retired I would not spend much yet if I did I would get the Mitutoyo calipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Yes and no.

When the ad states "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", I think it might be true. And when there's a link that says "free Amazon support included", it makes me think it might be true. But what do I know?

R
    I don't think "Shipped by Amazon" says anything about the authenticity of a product. If you do a web search you will find much discussion of Amazon's fraud problem.

If you look at the Amazon seller guide, they allow you to send them products and tell them that they are the same sku as something already listed on Amazon. Amazon stores the product and adds your inventory to the item already for sale.

Can't see Amazon doing anything to verify the authenticity if someone sends them a pallet of calipers and says they are Mitutoyo. I've gotten counterfeit headphones that were fulfilled by Amazon and shipped free with Amazon prime. They weren't even good fakes. About the only good thing is they are easy to return when fulfilled by Amazon.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make sure you get coolant-proof on any Shars digital caliper you buy if there is a chance that you might get them wet. My non-coolant rated Shars 6" caliper is all over the map after getting a few drops of coolant on or in it. It can hit any dimension you like now so long as you try it enough times. My much older Mitutuyos are still doing fine in the same environment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like SPI for stuff like this. Good quality, good price.