What's new
What's new

Grading digital calipers

70retired

Plastic
My old digital Mitutoyo 8" digital calipers died and need to be replaced. I'm retired and have a shop and trying to decide if I need a $200 mitutoyo or replace with a $75 brand X. I am 78 and don't need it to last 20 years. Just needs to be fairly accurate and repeatable. Thanks for any help in deciding.

Do you really need an 8 inch? I have not used mine, or the 12 inch, in years, but have several 6 inch ones that I use frequently. There may be a good brand 6 inch on eBay for a fair price.

Larry

I'd buy 6" Mitutoyo because nothing else I've seen is as reliable or has as good battery life. They just work. 6" is cheaper than 8" and most people probably don't need 8". Depends on what you make. Sure, Harbor Fright calipers work pretty well, but the zero point drifts around a bit with temperature or time and I just like nicer tools.

Mitutoyo is the gold standard, of course.

I have a pair of 6", IP rated ones at the shop, and a 4" set at the CAD desk for general use. Fits 99% of my work. Would never give them up as my daily driver.

But I needed a 12" set for dealing with the occasional bigger object (pallets, big one-off stuff, etc), and didn't want to spend $400 on Mitutoyo for such light-duty and rare work, so I snagged the Shars (!) Aventor 12" digital caliper for $100. I have been nothing but absolutely impressed with them. They hit the price/performance curve perfectly. These are just the right step up from the generic, often rebranded cheap Chinese digital calipers, for not much more.

When I get around to it, I'll pick up a 6" for keeping at the bandsaw, and these are my GoTo recommendation when friends who are't machinists ask me what digital calipers to buy for light-duty use.

I just visited the shars site. There are enough different aventor 12" models to start my head spinning. Is the ISO accreditation necessary? Looks like this might be a good way to go.

I just visited the shars site. There are enough different aventor 12" models to start my head spinning. Is the ISO accreditation necessary? Looks like this might be a good way to go.

I would ignore the accreditation versions, unless you are in an ISO shop where literally everything is documented.

I would probably also ignore the IP67 version, which has improved sealing for use around significant amounts of coolant (the standard one is IP65, so you can occasionally splash it and it'll be fine).

The tradeoff to make is Big Screen, without absolute scales, or standard screen with absolute scales. The difference is that the big one needs to be set every time you turn it on - you close the caliper and hit Origin to zero it. The smaller screen absolute one never loses position. Making the decision between the two is up to you and your eyesight!

that looks way too cheap, and is from a chinese seller . lots of lookalike fakes , and amazon is not as scrutinous of
their vendors as they once were . no way in hell i'd buy a Japanese caliper from a chinese vendor . TGTBT.

amazon doesn't sell anything .be careful.... i'd bet anything that's counterfeit .

i'd buy from a reputable authorized MTI dealer .

There's nothing wrong with Chinese calipers IF you get a good set. The problem is that whether you will get a good set or not is mostly up to chance. Their current exports are rather hit or miss in that respect. If you buy Mitutoyo it's rather more likely that you will get a good set, to say the least.

that looks way too cheap, and is from a chinese seller . lots of lookalike fakes , and amazon is not as scrutinous of
their vendors as they once were . no way in hell i'd buy a Japanese caliper from a chinese vendor . TGTBT.

amazon doesn't sell anything .be careful.... i'd bet anything that's counterfeit .

i'd buy from a reputable authorized MTI dealer .

Yes and no.

When the ad states "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", I think it might be true. And when there's a link that says "free Amazon support included", it makes me think it might be true. But what do I know?

R

My old digital Mitutoyo 8" digital calipers died and need to be replaced. I'm retired and have a shop and trying to decide if I need a $200 mitutoyo or replace with a $75 brand X. I am 78 and don't need it to last 20 years. Just needs to be fairly accurate and repeatable. Thanks for any help in deciding.

Gordon is the best person to ask. Personally if retired I would not spend much yet if I did I would get the Mitutoyo calipers.

Yes and no.

When the ad states "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", I think it might be true. And when there's a link that says "free Amazon support included", it makes me think it might be true. But what do I know?

R
I don't think "Shipped by Amazon" says anything about the authenticity of a product. If you do a web search you will find much discussion of Amazon's fraud problem.

If you look at the Amazon seller guide, they allow you to send them products and tell them that they are the same sku as something already listed on Amazon. Amazon stores the product and adds your inventory to the item already for sale.

Can't see Amazon doing anything to verify the authenticity if someone sends them a pallet of calipers and says they are Mitutoyo. I've gotten counterfeit headphones that were fulfilled by Amazon and shipped free with Amazon prime. They weren't even good fakes. About the only good thing is they are easy to return when fulfilled by Amazon.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Make sure you get coolant-proof on any Shars digital caliper you buy if there is a chance that you might get them wet. My non-coolant rated Shars 6" caliper is all over the map after getting a few drops of coolant on or in it. It can hit any dimension you like now so long as you try it enough times. My much older Mitutuyos are still doing fine in the same environment.

Back