Grainger still sucks - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    That business to business baloney must vary by branch these days. When desperate I have bought items from the Richmond VA branch under my personal name, did that recently when I bought a capacitor I could not find at McMaster. The salesman I bought from said they sell to anyone now.
    same here - to anyone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My previous employer was... a little interesting with money. They weren’t a huge company, but they blew through a lot of resources, and they played the money game like pros. They would rather buy from McMaster Carr and Carr lane based on their net terms at 5X the price than get it at the 1X price from Home Depot. Spending cash now effects the books now. Using credit now and accounting for it when it best suits the books means you can make a purchase look more like it had a good impact. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that...

We can bitch and complain all we want, but there’s enough business to be had that there will always be a McMaster Carr, whether that’s it’s name and no matter if the customer is a sucker or a pro. Their website is shit probably because some smart bastard realized the amount of business gained won’t outweigh the cost of having a good website. Keep the customer just satisfied enough to continue buying your overpriced junk.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stories about Fastenal are kind of surprising to me. The store near me sells common sizes and grades of bolts for about the same price as Tractor Supply, and they sell to anyone.

Now that we've set up an account they come by our shop at least once a week and stock up our bins. Occasionally there will be something we ask for that is really expensive but they warn us first if they can't get it any cheaper.

That being said the store about an hour away isn't that great. I don't think they've ever had anything in stock that I needed so I've never bought from them but I really don't like walking into stores that don't have prices listed on anything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So some Fastenal stores that are top performers or are in a particularly competitive and important market might have way better selection, pricing and people. When I was with them 7 years ago there were certain stores that played by different rules. Particularly with buying bolts per piece and pricing. I went from one store that sold everything for at least a 3x markup (which most people would wish they would sell at now instead of 5x to 8x I see people pay now) to one that sold bolts for 1.5x cost.... if you don’t know the Bolt market margins that is very low and should at least be in ballpark with anyone.

So you are fortunate or work for a big shop?

5. Likes Strostkovy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Supply Guru View Post
    So some Fastenal stores that are top performers or are in a particularly competitive and important market might have way better selection, pricing and people. When I was with them 7 years ago there were certain stores that played by different rules. Particularly with buying bolts per piece and pricing. I went from one store that sold everything for at least a 3x markup (which most people would wish they would sell at now instead of 5x to 8x I see people pay now) to one that sold bolts for 1.5x cost.... if you don’t know the Bolt market margins that is very low and should at least be in ballpark with anyone.

So you are fortunate or work for a big shop?
    Fortunate. We're a small 3 man show. Usually only get about 20 to 30 pounds of bolts per week.