What's new
What's new

Grinding/toolmaker vice recommendations

Karl_Kunkle

Aluminum
I am looking to purchase a few toolmaker or grinding vices. I'm looking for a small one (1-2 inch max opening) and some larger ones. The largest one should open to about 6 to 8 inches.

The grinders I know, suggest Herman Schmidt vices, but I can't afford those right now.

msc, penn tool and travers have prices all over the place.

would someone suggest a good brand or model for a novice ?

thanks

Somewhat depends on the accuracy you need. As you suggest, you probably don't need or want to pay for the accuracy of a Herman Schmidt vise.

A used quality brand or an import is what's affordable. Assuming you are already equipped to measure to the accuracy you want in grinding, I'd suggest buying from a source that will let you return the vise if it's out of the tolerance you need. With the imports, accuracy can vary from batch to batch. When you get what looks like a good bet, put it on your surface plate and check parallel and square.

Buy an import and regrind it yourself square and parallel to a tenth, or whatever accuracy you need.

i got myself a couple of the "imports". they were advertised at 0.005 mm flat and parallel and thats what they are. however not on all surfaces, the movable jaw is smaller on the sides. i didnt check the v for round stuff. no idea how herman vices are and they dodnt give out much info on their site either. its sure inconvenient to bolt them down. i doubt you will find a 8" vice of this type, 125 mm is the largest i have seen ($$$).

For close work we thought all vises poor. With tightening they can twist and bend. almost always have to indicate the part not the vise looking for .0002 or .000020. Blocks and angle plates often better IMHO and still you have to check the part.

i got myself a couple of the "imports". they were advertised at 0.005 mm flat and parallel and thats what they are. however not on all surfaces, the movable jaw is smaller on the sides.

Yes, it's expected and manufactured that way purposefully. It's so when you sit the vise on its side to grind a side of the part the movable jaw doesn't cock the vise on an angle and hurt accuracy. The jaw is also supposed to have a tiny amount of play in it to bear evenly over a part, since no part is perfectly parallel.

i got myself a couple of the "imports". they were advertised at 0.005 mm flat and parallel and thats what they are. however not on all surfaces, the movable jaw is smaller on the sides. i didnt check the v for round stuff. no idea how herman vices are and they dodnt give out much info on their site either. its sure inconvenient to bolt them down. i doubt you will find a 8" vice of this type, 125 mm is the largest i have seen ($$$).

I've seen a either 8" or 10" toolmakers (maybe 12) vice which I think was made here locally. I know the owner of the vice posts on the forums and he may drop in and tell you the actual size. It is solid and looks very nicely made.

Buy an import and regrind it yourself square and parallel to a tenth, or whatever accuracy you need.

A few years ago I bought a pair of 5 x 6 x 8 angle plates, ebay, assuming I would re-grind them when they arrived. To my amazement they were both within 0.0002 in 6 inches, and were universal! You may get lucky too, but it's not too bad to grind vises in if needed.

For close work we thought all vises poor. With tightening they can twist and bend. almost always have to indicate the part not the vise looking for .0002 or .000020. Blocks and angle plates often better IMHO and still you have to check the part.

I agree. I've never been a big fan of grinding vises for most stuff.

Back