Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Griphoist aka Tirfor come-along question

Hello, all,

We have an older Griphoist, for which the special wire-rope (and load hook) has gone missing.

Its marked 'Griphoist' and "T.20' with a data plate in English, apparently originally imported by 'Secalt' of New York.

Does anyone know whether the 7/16" (or its metric size approximation) line supplied for the currently available TU-28 model; Griphoist would be the same size as was the lilne for the T.20, so that we'd be able to use the older Griphoist with the currently available special wire rope.

(The Griphoist specs are exceedingly particular about using only their specific wire rope.......whether that is just 'advertising' or whether the Griphoist rope has some special characteristic making it more durable when gripped by the internal jaws of unit, well, I don't know, but would rather not take the chance, if we can get the correct part.)

cheers

Carla

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    Hello, all,

We have an older Griphoist, for which the special wire-rope (and load hook) has gone missing.

Its marked 'Griphoist' and "T.20' with a data plate in English, apparently originally imported by 'Secalt' of New York.

Does anyone know whether the 7/16" (or its metric size approximation) line supplied for the currently available TU-28 model; Griphoist would be the same size as was the lilne for the T.20, so that we'd be able to use the older Griphoist with the currently available special wire rope.

(The Griphoist specs are exceedingly particular about using only their specific wire rope.......whether that is just 'advertising' or whether the Griphoist rope has some special characteristic making it more durable when gripped by the internal jaws of unit, well, I don't know, but would rather not take the chance, if we can get the correct part.)

cheers

Carla
    Hi Carla

I can't help with your specific query; my Tirfor clone is a PWB brand UT16, and it takes an 11mm cable for a 1600kg pull. The jaws, and their spacing, are definitely specific (ie fussy) in the size of cable they will grip

I can also confirm that these hoists must use special cable designed for compressive gripper applications. The core is designed not to be crushed, and the construction of the outer strands is also optimised for this unusual action.

However, provided it's a reputable source, it doesn't need to be from the exact company which made the hoist.