Grizzly 0824 14 x 40 2" bore lathe...3 months old....issues since new - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC, the only time that Papagrizzly ever posted was when he acquired South Bend and introduced their new line of Asian made equipment. He probably did it for the publicity. I have not seen him post anything since then and there is no indication that he even reads posts here. Or PMs.

I will say one thing about him and his company, at least they are talking to you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JHOLLAND1 View Post
    founder and principal of Grizzly Industrial is a forum member of Practical Machinist

screen name--Papagrizzly--it has been some time since I have seen him post--but
    a private message may yield benefit

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday Grizzly customer service contacted me with the results of their tech. inspection of my lathe. They found the saddle had machining defects from the factory and they did not want to repair the lathe....(so much for the QC report that came with the lathe from the factory). Grizzly wanted to send me a new lathe. I told them I wanted a complete refund.....they got back with me today and agreed to that. I then told them if they wanted to save the sale I would agree to a replacement lathe on the condition their service dept breaks it in, changes all fluids, and performs a complete QC inspection so that when I get it all I have to do is level it , wire it, and start making money. I also want to be refunded for my time repackaging and shipping the original lathe back to them. They agreed and credited me $200 for my time.
    For me, this is very acceptable. Right now my shop work is backed up and I need a lathe.....simply don't have time to search for a good used one or travel to look at new Tiwanese built machines.
    I will give Grizzly customer service, and specifically "Jean K." thumbs up for their efforts in resolving my problem. Jean was great to deal with and I am a satisfied customer at this point.
    I will post a short review of the new machine after it arrives and I have some time on it.
    Thanks to everyone here who responded to this thread...I appreciate your comments and help!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the update, sounds like they are trying to make it right.

I hope the new machine works out for you, please let us know.

Just hope it doesn't turn into this:

Last edited by Terry Keeley; 06-13-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    why are you still talking about it when you say its crated and ready to go back? stop now and cut your losses
    Agreed. If it is a problem now just wait until you get a little wear on it. Send it back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba73 View Post
    Agreed. If it is a problem now just wait until you get a little wear on it. Send it back.
    Please read the entire thread.....then comment.
    Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received the new G0824 lathe this week. I will say, this machine has a totally different "feel" from the first lathe. All the controls have the proper tension. The cross slide gibs have the same resistance throughout the entire rang of travel. The bed "leveled" easily, without any shims under the tail stock, (no twist). The machine is relatively quiet compared to the first one. There is no vibration. I didn't have any work that required a high degree of precision this week.... just some stand off legs for a transmission cooler and three .625" bracket shims. I did take a few test cuts to check for the problems I experienced with the previous machine. The first was a series of two .045" rough cuts on aluminum round stock, then a finish cut of .010" to get a total of .100" stock removal. I did not check or make any adjustments between the first and last cut...just used the DRO. I found the final dimension to be within .0005" of the target .100" total stock removal. Total length of the work piece was approx 3". I found no measurable taper using a standard .001" micrometer.
    I am satisfied this lathe will perform very well in my shop as a support machine.....not a production tool. For the price, I feel it is a very good value, not to be mistaken for a $15000 Southbend or any other industrial duty production lathe. As far as Grizzly customer support....they came through for me and I will continue to patronize them whenever possible.

7. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wgt500 View Post
    I received the new G0824 lathe this week. I will say, this machine has a totally different "feel" from the first lathe. All the controls have the proper tension. The cross slide gibs have the same resistance throughout the entire rang of travel. The bed "leveled" easily, without any shims under the tail stock, (no twist). The machine is relatively quiet compared to the first one. There is no vibration. I didn't have any work that required a high degree of precision this week.... just some stand off legs for a transmission cooler and three .625" bracket shims. I did take a few test cuts to check for the problems I experienced with the previous machine. The first was a series of two .045" rough cuts on aluminum round stock, then a finish cut of .010" to get a total of .100" stock removal. I did not check or make any adjustments between the first and last cut...just used the DRO. I found the final dimension to be within .0005" of the target .100" total stock removal. Total length of the work piece was approx 3". I found no measurable taper using a standard .001" micrometer.
    I am satisfied this lathe will perform very well in my shop as a support machine.....not a production tool. For the price, I feel it is a very good value, not to be mistaken for a $15000 Southbend or any other industrial duty production lathe. As far as Grizzly customer support....they came through for me and I will continue to patronize them whenever possible.
    Sounds like they "made it right", I wonder if posting here helped?

That's the problem though isn't it, you never know if you'll get an acceptable machine or a POS. Sounds like they went through this one for you and made sure you got a good one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like they finished the “kit” before they sent it out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel like this is exactly the reason why so many people don't like buying from China. Feels like you are playing the "Chinesium Lottery" every time you place an order.

Sure it's possible to get decent stuff for a good price (as you have now), but just as likely to get junk. Sounds like you're describing a completely different machine, not the same model with a better dice roll.

In any case I'm glad it worked out for you, enjoy your new serviceable lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad to hear the op for now has a satisfactory resolution.
    Not as praise but just a confirmation, I went thru a similar situation about 15 years ago with the green bears customer service department trying to resolve an issue on a 1237G.
    The lathe was purchased in 94 to be used as the "repair parts" lathe. No expectations of high accuracy, and as of today you need the mental road map of how to cut a consistent diameter.
    Would I buy another, probably not.
    But I was glad someone on the other end of the phone listened and delivered good customer service.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Sounds like they "made it right", I wonder if posting here helped?

That's the problem though isn't it, you never know if you'll get an acceptable machine or a POS. Sounds like they went through this one for you and made sure you got a good one...
    Their service dept. did "go thru it" and ran the break-in procedure before they let it out the door. I will still do a complete check of the fluids and gear boxes for left over sand in 20 or 30 hr. Terry, it was a crap shoot as to whether I would get a good one; however, their customer service supervisor, Jean, assured me it would be right when I received it....and it is.

13. Likes Terry Keeley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel like this is exactly the reason why so many people don't like buying from China. Feels like you are playing the "Chinesium Lottery" every time you place an order.
    That's why it is absolutely critical to buy from an established/reputable company, especially when dealing with Chinese equipment (but also stands true for local stuff as well).