What's new
What's new

Grizzly G0731 Leadscrews oil or grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave022

Plastic
I have pulled my Honden (Grizzly G0731) mill apart for a repaint and to clean out all old grease from bearings etc.

I plan on repacking spindle bearings with Teflon grease (superlube) and using a standard NLGI #2 grease for all other bearings.

The manual calls for the use of grease to lubricate the leadscrews as well. this doesn't sit well with me as even though I don't use compressed air to clean anything in the shop; chips still manage to get all places.

Would I be better off using a 68 oil?

Grease sticks, and stays. Oil will run off, and need to be reoiled. If you can reach it to oil it when you use the machine, oil will work. Otherwise, grease will be there for years, as you see, there was grease there when you took it apart. Both will accumulate dirt and chips some small, some larger. The small particles may do more damage, as they enter between the moving parts, where larger chips are scraped off by the action of the parts.

Thanks, sounds like that makes sense.

I was after best practice rather than what had previously been done, as amongst other things yesterday I cleaned grease out of oilways on the saddle because the oil delivery system has grease style nipples, and I had to clean paint out of open roller bearings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back