What's new
What's new

Grizzly g0759 mill? Or a novelty toy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookhawk

Plastic
I’m contemplating buying a g0759 mill and I’d appreciate your input. I do not have machining experience but I am an avid fine gun collector and I’ve done many conservations when possible and many restorations when necessary. I would use the machine as follows:

1.) For random woodworking jobs since I don’t own a drill press.
2.) For cutting barrel saddles for claw mount sights.
3.) For locating and drilling the detent for Mauser 98 three position safeties
4.) For occasional jeweling of bolts, extractors, and bolt releases
5.) For occasional in letting of stocks to allow for larger trigger housings. (Hand work for final fit)
6.) For creation of sight leafs when one is missing from rear sight groups.
7.) for drill and tap of actions, or to reduce clip openings to accommodate scope mounts
8.) with buffing wheels for polishing

I’m patient and I’m not a production house, just a collector/hobbiest. That said, these tasks are on valuable antiques and the work is all steel, not aluminum. No interest in tactical modern sporting arms work whatsoever.

Is this machine suitable for my desired tasks? It would go in a basement so I cannot fit anything bigger down the stairs.

Thank you for answering my questions.

you may want to read the rules and change your title and content before your ass gets jumped all over.

As far as the mill, it's such a piece of shit it doesn't even qualify as toy material.

you may want to read the rules and change your title and content before your ass gets jumped all over.

As far as the mill, it's such a piece of shit it doesn't even qualify as toy material.

I read the stickies that said don’t bring up junk mills, atlas products, etc. I was uncertain whether the grizzly g0759 was or is considered Chinese junk, hence the question. I checked several forums that talk about low-end harbor freight stuff, but they taper out when tools are north of $2000 and have DRO, etc.

No intention to offend or break rules, I appreciate the forum and the professional nature of its members. I’ll delete my post if a moderator determines my question was too low-end of hobbiest for this venue. (And I’d appreciate confirmation that this is a junk tool)

I have hand fitted German claw mounts and German pivot mounts for fine firearms. There are 5 guys in the USA that can do it and rates are $1500-$2500 for the work. Since I have the know-how to do it by hand, I thought a mill might shorten a winter project into a one week project. Maybe I’m wrong to think anything short of a Bridgeport knee mill can get me the precision required to do this level of work on heat treated steel though.

To answer your question: yes, it is a novelty toy!

Looked it up out of curiousity......weighs a whopping 392 pounds. :willy_nilly:

Just because it has a DRO doesn't mean it's a machine tool.

I mean, you could call a calculator a DRO......

Just buy a used Bridgeport.

Thanks for your reply, I figured as much. I guess I’ll stick to tedious hand work because 3-phase power and the space to use a Bridgeport isn’t available to me at my residence.

Thanks for your reply, I figured as much. I guess I’ll stick to tedious hand work because 3-phase power and the space to use a Bridgeport isn’t available to me at my residence.

if your space is limited (basement)There are machines out there quite a bit smaller than a regular Bridgeport that are NOT hobby grade, such as an old Millrite. Might be worth looking into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back