What's new
What's new

Grizzly G4016 Lathe rebuild - Gear box configuration needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmachinist

Plastic
I prepared to have my shop floor epoxied. Very very unfortunately my G4016 lathe tipped. not cool. among a few problems, the speed selection levers broke. I was able to get them welded and ready to reassemble. I find the drawing in the manual not too helpful. I wish I took a picture beforehand, but I did not. Would anyone be willing to take off the front of the travel speed box and take a picture or two? I don't understand the placement of the small spur gear. Plus the gears above the C axle slide back and forth, that doesn't seem right.

Any help would be very appreciated.

the attached images show my issue - how to assemble the speed control levers/axle

Paul

Is Turkey Day today or tomorrow? I have experience with a Griz machine. And needed shims by the bundle to get it working properly.

Making snarky comments to lowly hobbyists gives Digger a feeling of usefulness and importance. :-)

Discussion of lower level import machines is prohibited on this site as you may
know. This thread will soon be locked.

Calling Grizz may get you some help. Shiraz, himself an interesting character, began the company here in my hometown in a loading dock room maybe 35 years ago and has built it into a huge company selling cheap tools some of which are worth owning—-I have owned a Grizz 10 heavy table saw for 30 years. It has provided very good service with some tweaks. I once owned a Grizz bench top “lathe” that I could slowly make parts with. But it was junk, really.

I would suggest calling Grizz for tech help. You might just get some assistance. I know a couple guys who have worked there since early days.

I would also suggest asking this question on the home shop web sites. I think you would surely get help there.

Denis

Making snarky comments to lowly hobbyists gives Digger a feeling of usefulness and importance. :-)

Discussion of lower level import machines is prohibited on this site as you may
know. This thread will soon be locked.

Calling Grizz may get you some help. Shiraz, himself an interesting character, began the company here in my hometown in a loading dock room maybe 35 years ago and has built it into a huge company selling cheap tools some of which are worth owning—-I have owned a Grizz 10 heavy table saw for 30 years. It has provided very good service with some tweaks. I once owned a Grizz bench top “lathe” that I could slowly make parts with. But it was junk, really.

I would suggest calling Grizz for tech help. You might just get some assistance. I know a couple guys who have worked their since early days.

I would also suggest asking this question on the home shop web sites. I think you would surely get help there.

Denis

I was thinking ergonics.....as Trolls need the lathe closer to the floor.....:D

What's the point of being a jerk ?
Something this country is lacking is respect for others.
DG is saying this is not the place for this person, in a respectful manner.

I generally enjoy this site, and try to contribute, in response to all the help I receive, but really don't like the disrespectful comments.

Guess I'm going to get flamed now, but maybe some others will share my point of view.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Bob

Oh come on now, that was funny

and grizzly is prohibited

but seriously, you cannot leave it on its side, someone might trip over it

and damage it more....

Wouldn't it be easier to just help the guy if you can?

Easier? Maybe.
Better? No. At least not in my opinion.
I like the fact that is a site where you don't have to see posts with titles like "My cheap Chinesium mini lathe fell apart as soon as I got it out of the box"

Easier? Maybe.
Better? No. At least not in my opinion.
I like the fact that is a site where you don't have to see posts with titles like "My cheap Chinesium mini lathe fell apart as soon as I got it out of the box"

What if the guy is using this in a professional shop environment...

This:
"Who reads the rules anymore?"
is from another Grizzly post today. It exemplifies the attitude that is at the root of many problems.

-Marty-

maybe he could have posted it in the south bend forum and call it a newish south bend oh well is it lock down time yet

In that case I would expect him to have read the forum rules and follow them - like I do every one else here.

So a guy works at a shop that has a grizzly lathe, it breaks, he needs it, and you won't help him because it's a grizzly? Sounds like yer just a regular shitdick fan boy. Get a few thousand more posts before becoming holier-than-thou.

From the rules you speak of "Note I said "home shop grade" Larger and/or higher quality Asian machines that might be used in manufacturing or job shop setting are ok to discuss."

If you saw the pics in the closed thread you would see it was an older larger lathe.

So a guy works at a shop that has a grizzly lathe, it breaks, he needs it, and you won't help him because it's a grizzly? Sounds like yer just a regular shitdick fan boy. Get a few thousand more posts before becoming holier-than-thou.

Your not understanding the "rules" and who wrote them, and why.

Please try to keep up.

So a guy works at a shop that has a grizzly lathe, an older larger lathe.

Yeah, I'm relatively new here. Am starting a bit of home machining after a 50 year hiatus from the trade.
Shitdick fan boy huh?
I'm not new to internet forums. 21 years and probably 35K posts on the farm tractor boards I frequent. I learned early on why some topics are verboten. Saw a lot of tough guys come and go in that time. Have been called a lot of things but never anything so cute as that.
You do know it does not advance your argument?
Of course you know that.
It really just makes you look childish.
But hey, be true to yourself.
If you're on the wrong end of an argument let it all hang out. Lord your high post count over us, call us names and all that stuff.
It makes you right.
Right?
Of course it makes you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back