What's new
What's new

Grob 4V-18 Who has one of these saws?

dkmc

Diamond
May be a long shot, but I'm looking for anyone here that might have a Grob 4V-18 Band Saw with the Pneumatic Table Feed. I recently acquired one of these saws, and there's a couple parts missing for the Table Feed. The Hyd Cylinder is not connected to the sliding bar in the table. I'd appreciate some info or maybe a pic or 2 of the underside of the table showing the parts.

Thanks in advance......
DK

I suggest you contact Grob, They can send you a parts book for this thing which will come in handy. Blade guides too. I think they still make this saw.

Here are a few pics. I made the long drive slide from scratch. I've hardly ever used the power feed. No feel to it. But it does work. BTW it's air operated. At least mine is. There is an air input by the speed dial down on the bottom left side. If you ever have trouble shifting gears, try backing off on the tension. The transverse rod that one gear slides on is undersized and prone to flexing. Mine is touchy, and if you force things it gets stuck real bad. Rock the gearbox while shifting by opening the top cover and hand jogging the wheel. Hopefully yours will shift without trouble.

Dave

If you're running on a phase convertor, make sure you plug the 220 single phase to the two leads going to to the welder, or you'll fry the transformer first try. If you have it wired right, you won't need to turn on the phase convertor to use the welder.

Attachments

• Grob1.jpg
    Grob1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Grob2.jpg
    Grob2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Grob3.jpg
    Grob3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 90
Grob sent an assembly drawing that at least gives me an idea, but your pictures help the most, thanks.
They do not make this model anymore. Mine seems to shift very easy, I don't think it has many hours on it.
No phase converter, 3 phase with 'wild leg' that has to carefully not be used for any single phase devices.
Had to move some wires around to make sure that didn't happen.

If you ever have trouble shifting gears, try backing off on the tension. The transverse rod that one gear slides on is undersized and prone to flexing. Mine is touchy, and if you force things it gets stuck real bad. Rock the gearbox while shifting by opening the top cover and hand jogging the wheel. Hopefully yours will shift without trouble.

I find that questionable at best. The input shaft of the transmission is quite robust, and supported by 2 ball bearings. Don't see how belt tension could affect other components inside the gearbox. In fact, it all looks to be quite heavy duty design. Perhaps prior abuse is the primary cause of your shifting troubles.

I find that questionable at best. The input shaft of the transmission is quite robust, and supported by 2 ball bearings. Don't see how belt tension could affect other components inside the gearbox. In fact, it all looks to be quite heavy duty design. Perhaps prior abuse is the primary cause of your shifting troubles.

I miss spoke earlier, I meant the transverse rod that the shift forks travel on. Didn't bother to correct myself. I've been inside the gearbox. It's fork carrier is just a 3/4 CRS rod of some length. I run a 1" blade in the saw most times which has the tension cranked all the way up. Robust input shaft or not. Maybe it's that old car kind of thing, but for whatever reason the machine shifts better by backing off the blade tension. The slightest cant or flex of any shaft could hinder fork or gear movement. I never noticed any severe wear of signs of abuse when I was in there, though that isn't to say it hasn't seen any before I got it almost 20 years ago. Maybe that's why the guy sold it to me, who knows.

Back