What's new
What's new

Grob or a DoAll vertical band saw 16”-24”

Ianagos

Stainless
I’ve been looking for a decent vertical bandsaw. Around me the only things I’ve seen are grob 18”/ 24” bandsaws and DoAll bandsaws.

The DoAll Im looking at is a 16” saw and looks pretty good it’s been painted etc but it’s a bit more money.

The grob is newer and has original paint in ok shape. It’s also cheaper. Has a blade welder.

What are your opinions?

I’ve read on here that the DoAll is superior but is the grob that bad? It’s cheaper and more original. I have a horizontal bandsaw aswell so this is just to supplement that.

Research the DoAll 16" models. They vary a lot. I think I wound up concluding the one to look for was a 1612-3.

I doubt there's anything wrong with a Grob. But look into parts availability and make sure you can get your hands on a manual.

I looked for quite awhile and wound up buying a 1960s Rockwell Delta 20" vertical band saw. Like a DoAll, it has a 2-speed gearbox and variable speed drive effecting blade speeds of 50-5000 surface feet per minute. No blade welder, sigh. It works fine for my needs and it was cheap. Actually, I got it with a lot of other stuff. After selling off the other stuff the saw was free.

I suggest you buy what you can find. Use it, and keep looking. If you get that dream DoAll someday, you can sell your Grob.

metalmagpie

I don’t know the model number but here are the two I’m looking between at the moment.

a4ecceda622dd529928a17c77b0223fe.jpg

3c3f2766d2b6912fb471a866793ac01e.jpg

Grob is a well built saw. No reason to shy away from that. In that vintage, the DoAll is also a nice machine. I don't think you could go wrong with either...

I had a 24" Grob. I thought it was a bit on the cheezy side.

I think Doall is a little better quality.

The Marvel verticals always seemed like the hot ticket to me.

No vote either way. But I did not notice a blade welder on the DoAll. Looks like the Grob has one. Do yourself a favor and price one of those welders. Nice option to have right on the machine.

Best Regards,
Bob

I don't know anything about the Grob saws, but I have a DoAll 1612. When I got the saw, parts of it were really very rough. I sat on it for a long time and finally got around to restoring it. It was a hell of a lot of work, but I totally disassembled it and found that the saw was pretty much as new, but it had been left outside in the rain for a long time and corrosion took its toll. I had to make several parts including a new vertical post. I cleaned, restored and repainted the saw inside and out including the blade welder. I replaced all the wiring because the original wiring was in bad shape and I had to convert the saw from 208V 60Hz to 400V 50Hz. I also made a low boy cradle with wheels so that I could roll it around easily. That was well worth while, as the saw weighs just under 1,000 lbs. It is also quite tall. All that said, there is a wealth of information out there and .pdf manuals are readily available. DoAll was a great deal of help, but their parts, when available are pricey. When parts are no longer available, DoAll sent machine drawings of the original parts. That was very much appreciated. Also our own John Oder right here on PM was also a great deal of help. I did elect to make the entire power feed system because those parts were missing and no longer available. I am now just finishing up the last of dozens and dozens of individual parts. In all, my project has taken about 18 months off and on, but my saw operates like a new machine. It is super easy to use. I have now found all the different blade guides fo all the different size blades it can use. It has been a great project and is a great saw.

I believe all grob saws have a threaded hole in the top of the arm for a lifting ring. It is 3/4 or one inch bolt size.
I believe all grob saws have no gears, it is all belt changes to vary speed. Means getting down and dirty to change speeds but no expensive gears to wear. Do not take this as gospel it is just some long remembered stuff.
Also the powermatic or the rockwell, not sure which, 20" saw has no drain for the transmission. It has a fill port put no way to drain the old gear oil.
Bill D.

Grob has a transmission and infinite variable speed. Only the old ones had belt changes. No clue on the DoAll

Question to those out there that know. The grob has a air cylinder behind the table does anybody know what for?

The air cylinder may be part of the automatic sawing mechenizim. Simply a chain or cable that pulls down at the outfeed end off the table. Simple ones hang a weight more complex use air or a damper to control rate,. The chain is hooked to the work and pulls it into the blade. Leave it unattended and it cuts the work then it cuts the puller in two as well. Having this feature makes it a "contour" saw.
Bil lD

I have a 16" DoAll, and my Uncle has a 24" GROB in his shop. They are both good saws, but I prefer the controls and UI on the DoAll. I have run the snot out of mine, and it has never let me down.

I do know my DoAll is built like a brick shithouse, and is a heavy sunofabitch. It has a threaded receiver for a lift eye on top that makes moving it with the bridge crane a snap though.

dude... just keep it simple and get one of those stands for your portaband.. i mean the home shop homies seem to love them. [emoji2359][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choice between Grob or DoAll I would purchase which ever was in better shape.Both are good saws, I have used both and prefer the Grob but that is just me .I also own a Grob . Bill

I have a Grob...well used but I like it. It has a transmission and variable speed as mentioned.

Very heavy and nicely built imo. It seems many prefer the guides on the do-all vs the grob.

I bought a tire/glue for mine directly from Grob. They were helpful.

Mine has the air cyl feed and blade welder.

I'm with whoever mentioned buying the best of what's available.

Pic of mine....$500 auction find.

grob.jpg

I have a DoAll horizontal automatic and it is built like a brick shithouse at close to 5000 pounds. Has no trouble pulling a 2 pitch blade. I don't have a big vertical but if I were to get one it would likely be a roll in saw

I have a Grob...well used but I like it. It has a transmission and variable speed as mentioned.

Very heavy and nicely built imo. It seems many prefer the guides on the do-all vs the grob.

I bought a tire/glue for mine directly from Grob. They were helpful.

Mine has the air cyl feed and blade welder.

I'm with whoever mentioned buying the best of what's available.

Pic of mine....$500 auction find.

View attachment 295379

I missed out on one a year or so ago for $900 in decent shape probably could have offered the guy less honestly. Just didn’t have the space for it at the time.

Well the DoAll saw looks like it was reconditioned but the grob looks original and has air feed cylinder and blade welder. I’m gonna make the guy an offer but it’s a long ways away so I’ll see if I get it.

I have a DoAll 3613 and a Grob NS18. The DoAll is a beast but I am partial to the Grob, mainly due to the condition it is in. Can't go wrong with either one.

I have a DoAll 3613 and a Grob NS18. The DoAll is a beast but I am partial to the Grob, mainly due to the condition it is in. Can't go wrong with either one.

The ns18 are the old ones do they have any flaws to where I should look for a newer one?

I seen a ns18 for sale but no vari speed setup.

But I have a couple vfds laying around I could make my own variable speed control.

Back