What's new
What's new

GROB NS18 manual / literature?

86turbodsl

Cast Iron
As in title, i picked up a GROB NS18 this weekend. Serial 1915. Looks pretty old, but in decent shape. I don't see how the guides work. They appear to be partially missing. Also, not sure how the belt drive works. It also has a "2phase" motor. I have no idea how that relates to a three phase motor.

Any hints?
16873fc065d045933954dd52c5fa8863.jpg

I have a 4v-18 manual, pretty sure I found it with a google search. I don't know the difference between the two

Your saw is the same model and same configuration as mine. Great saw, wouldn't be without it.

86turbodsl is right - the 4V18 is variable speed with hydraulic feed. A leaker :-(

And the vintage machinery reprint is the main thing I've been able to find for literature. There is other Grob literature on guides, etc, but for the NS18 specifically, the VM drawing is it.

The folks at Grob were very good at coming up with parts, so once you identify the guide parts you need, they can supply them, at reasonable prices, along with new tires, which you'll prob also need.

You may be tempted to switch to roller guides as I did (Carters) but they're unnecessary for a saw as slow as this (2050SFM max).

The factory max width blade is 1/2" but I run 3/4" on mine. Had to modify a couple things on the saw, but IIRC, they're minor.

PITA to get to the belts. Later versions of the NS series had better access, but you'll get used to it. Two belts in the belt drive - one wide for hi and low (2 two groove sheaves), and one narrower for the 5 speeds within each range - one 5 groove sheave and 1 six groove sheave. The 6th is for an air pump, which was missing on mine. A compressed air connection does the same thing.

Good luck with it - great saw.

That's the trouble with the line drawings prevalent for things this old. I can't see well enough to determine what the heck is missing because the drawings are so poor.

And sadly, this is a 3 speed saw. Big belt has one slot, small one attached to motor has 3 slots, with an extra for the pump. Add that to the fact that it has that weird 2 phase motor, and i'm highly inclined to throw a 3/4 HP 3 phase in there and a VFD hanging off the cabinet. Tires look in good shape! No cracks, soft rubber and easily visible crown. Think i'm good there. There was even a spare set of new belts in the hidden cabinet door. Where's a good place to get saw blades? Or should i just start with a roll off ebay? I have a few saw blades to practice with on the welder and assuming it works, if it doesn't i have a syncrowave 300 and a torch.

my 4v18 has pneumatic feed.

Damn. Wrong again. Thanks for the correction.

That's the trouble with the line drawings prevalent for things this old. I can't see well enough to determine what the heck is missing because the drawings are so poor....

If there were more pix, we might be able to help, or at least, pontificate. :D

...And sadly, this is a 3 speed saw. ... i'm highly inclined to throw a 3/4 HP 3 phase in there and a VFD hanging off the cabinet....

Good idea.

... Where's a good place to get saw blades? Or should i just start with a roll off ebay? I have a few saw blades to practice with on the welder and assuming it works, if it doesn't i have a syncrowave 300 and a torch.

Or buy off eBay. When I get fussy, I buy from sawblades.com. It's a bit of a trick to get them to stop bugging you afterwards, but the blades are decent.

Greetings! I am the band saw supervisor at Grob. Hopefully I can help with some information.

Damn. Wrong again. Thanks for the correction.
A little of both. The NS saws used a counterweight feed system. The 4V saws use an air over hydraulic system. Air pushes the hydraulic fluid through the system, causing the movement. So, I guess you are both right. They generally don't leak, but O-rings are subject to failure but can easily be replaced.

The NS saws came with a 1 hp motor, but was able to put a 3hp on. I am not familiar with the 2 phase myself, so not sure what would all be missing from the electrical system.

The 3 speed models were pretty rare, as most customers bought the 5 or 10 speed models. I do have some drawings available, but when we switched to the 4v series in 1969, there wasn't a lot of forethought into keeping some of them. We do have a fair amount of parts remaining for the NS saws, and many of the parts translated into our 4V series and is still used today. Shoot me an email at [email protected] with any specific questions, and I can try to help you out the best I can.

Greetings! I am the band saw supervisor at Grob. Hopefully I can help with some information.
Shoot me an email at [email protected] with any specific questions, and I can try to help you out the best I can.

I have been gifted a NS-18-10 that was built under license here in South Australia by Gibb and Miller Limited.

I have one question which should be an easy one for you, what is the small belt driven air pump used for?

That blower requires periodic lubrication. It is in a difficult spot to reach. Most pumps die from lack of lubrication. Instead of replacing the pump I just hooked up blower line to shop air.

Back