Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default GROB NS18 manual / literature?

As in title, i picked up a GROB NS18 this weekend. Serial 1915. Looks pretty old, but in decent shape. I don't see how the guides work. They appear to be partially missing. Also, not sure how the belt drive works. It also has a "2phase" motor. I have no idea how that relates to a three phase motor.

Any hints?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 4v-18 manual, pretty sure I found it with a google search. I don't know the difference between the two

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    I have a 4v-18 manual, pretty sure I found it with a google search. I don't know the difference between the two
    i think that's the variable speed one. Mine's all belts and sheaves.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your saw is the same model and same configuration as mine. Great saw, wouldn't be without it.

86turbodsl is right - the 4V18 is variable speed with hydraulic feed. A leaker :-(

And the vintage machinery reprint is the main thing I've been able to find for literature. There is other Grob literature on guides, etc, but for the NS18 specifically, the VM drawing is it.

The folks at Grob were very good at coming up with parts, so once you identify the guide parts you need, they can supply them, at reasonable prices, along with new tires, which you'll prob also need.

You may be tempted to switch to roller guides as I did (Carters) but they're unnecessary for a saw as slow as this (2050SFM max).

The factory max width blade is 1/2" but I run 3/4" on mine. Had to modify a couple things on the saw, but IIRC, they're minor.

PITA to get to the belts. Later versions of the NS series had better access, but you'll get used to it. Two belts in the belt drive - one wide for hi and low (2 two groove sheaves), and one narrower for the 5 speeds within each range - one 5 groove sheave and 1 six groove sheave. The 6th is for an air pump, which was missing on mine. A compressed air connection does the same thing.

Good luck with it - great saw.

6. Likes 86turbodsl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the trouble with the line drawings prevalent for things this old. I can't see well enough to determine what the heck is missing because the drawings are so poor.

And sadly, this is a 3 speed saw. Big belt has one slot, small one attached to motor has 3 slots, with an extra for the pump. Add that to the fact that it has that weird 2 phase motor, and i'm highly inclined to throw a 3/4 HP 3 phase in there and a VFD hanging off the cabinet. Tires look in good shape! No cracks, soft rubber and easily visible crown. Think i'm good there. There was even a spare set of new belts in the hidden cabinet door. Where's a good place to get saw blades? Or should i just start with a roll off ebay? I have a few saw blades to practice with on the welder and assuming it works, if it doesn't i have a syncrowave 300 and a torch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my 4v18 has pneumatic feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    my 4v18 has pneumatic feed.
    Damn. Wrong again. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by 86turbodsl View Post
    That's the trouble with the line drawings prevalent for things this old. I can't see well enough to determine what the heck is missing because the drawings are so poor....
    If there were more pix, we might be able to help, or at least, pontificate.

...And sadly, this is a 3 speed saw. ... i'm highly inclined to throw a 3/4 HP 3 phase in there and a VFD hanging off the cabinet....
    Good idea.

... Where's a good place to get saw blades? Or should i just start with a roll off ebay? I have a few saw blades to practice with on the welder and assuming it works, if it doesn't i have a syncrowave 300 and a torch.
    Or buy off eBay. When I get fussy, I buy from sawblades.com. It's a bit of a trick to get them to stop bugging you afterwards, but the blades are decent.