What's new
What's new

Guess the noise - 13x40 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBruno

Plastic
Have a new lathe (basically a Grizzly G0776 knock off / clone) with about 4 hours on it. It's started making a noise when I brake, stop the motor or sharply reduce motor RPMs.

Lathe has a continuosuly variable motor, with 2 range gears and forward reverse. I can only hear it when in the low range (60-350RPM at chuck) going forward. It seems you need a bit of weight in the chuck, it won't occur without a chuck attached to the spindle.

I've tried disengaging the rest of the gear train (power feed / threading gears) and it still happens.

So far I've checked;
- good tension on belts
- all external bolts are tight
- oil level is good. Have taken head cover off, oil is clean, no obvious bits/sand/debris floating round
- I've rotated internal gearing by turning chuck, teeth look good
- will face smoothly without chatter marks

I'm a bit nervous about using it now, as it didn't used to make this noise. I'm debating whether to take the head apart and properly clean / inspect gears and bearing, or get retailer involved for warranty purposes, but I don't have a lot of experience with lathes, maybe this noise is a normal part of breaking it in??

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned, or am I worrying about nothing?

Before the elitists strike

I'll suggest it's probably backlash in the gears and caused by the motor slowing quicker than the heavily loaded chuck, and wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Before the elitists strike

I'll suggest it's probably backlash in the gears and caused by the motor slowing quicker than the heavily loaded chuck, and wouldn't worry too much about it :)

"Elitists" ???

How about "Posters not following the rules" sir ?

"Elitists" ???

How about "Posters not following the rules" sir ?

Meahhh.. there's a "loophole".

No cheap Asian "hobby grade" discussion.

But Asian "industrial" goods ARE permitted.

Recycling scrap metal is about a $39 billion dollar a year industry and even so, the USA still wastes another $11 billion a year as to what SHOULD be recycled and is very carelessly NOT.

"Not-even" a Grisely? A knock-off?

Sounds like part of that missed-"industrial" opportunity to me.

I watched a youtube video where the guy took the entire HS apart looking for the noise he heard, I didn't watch to the end to see if he found it.
But try inducing a little drag to the spindle as you do that, are we hearing gear lash collecting itself on the other side of acceleration?
My own industrial 1440 CCP lathe (Which was expected to be Taiwanese due to the name "Victor") makes a knocking noise which I've deduced is right at the input area, and sounds like a coupling knocking. If I pry the input pulley away from the headstock a few thousandths the noise goes away for a short time.
Contrary to popular bias I decided to make lemon aid out of the lemon and as soon as I started valuing it I began to see it's true value, the headstock has a 2 1/2" through hole, the ways are massive and wide and the lathe is extremely accurate for a cheaper lathe. My point is that by saying something is garbage before getting to know it people are "Poisoning the well" and blinding themselves to what value there is in it. Now 15 years later it's paid me back many times over.

When the Asian 13x40 s first hit the market many years ago ,my employers paid to have one tested for all the standard limits etc.....and it came up Trumps(if you'll excuse the expression),as good as Colchester advertised standards.

When the Asian 13x40 s first hit the market many years ago ,my employers paid to have one tested for all the standard limits etc.....and it came up Trumps(if you'll excuse the expression),as good as Colchester advertised standards.

"Advertised?"

OK.

So how well did the Colchesters do?

:D

Lest we forget.. the OP my not have one of Asia's better examples.

Recent manufacture.

"Not-even" a Grisely. A clone or knock-off of a Grisely.

And worrying him with a degradation in very short time whilst still new?

There are reason's PM is not wont to waste a lot of time on LSO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back