What's new
What's new

H.B Rouse & Co. "Hand Miller" info?

dkmc

Diamond
Curious IF any and how many of these small Horiz. hand millers are out there.

Wondering about the company history, can't find anything on the web other
than Boring Bars made by same.
I can post some pics, but if you have or have used one of these at home or
at work, you know what they are. I can only imagine there must have been
thousands of these machines in use in production situations all over the USA at
some point in time, maybe still?

I have one that's fitted with what I think is called a Schrader-Bellows "Air Check"
air over oil pneumatic feed cylinder in place of the hand lever. There are some castings
used in the cylinder mounts, so apparently the setup is factory.
I can't find any serial number anywhere on the unit.
A manual would be an interesting read.

TIA!

dk

I talked to someone at Rouse Arno a few years ago. By then they had all but stopped making the mills, but said they were used in a lot of specialty production situations. Since then Arno is selling tools and inserts and does not reference the Rouse at all. The fellow that answers the phone at Arno speaks with a German accent so I do not know if anyone is left of the old Rouse company that would know anything about the machines.
I do have one that I modified for screw slotting. We just finished a job that I was able to do more than 10 pcs a minute. When I got mine it was used but had a 1/2 end mill spindle with it. I have never used it, only the 1 inch arbor spindle that was installed.
On my machine I put a 1'' riser under the slide for more travel and the auto clamping/ejecting fixture has not been removed in 20 years. I have made bushings and clamps for several different size screws though.

Thanks for the comments Fred.
Pretty quiet, I'm surprised there aren't more out there in use.
I imagine there were maybe 'thousands' at one time?
Maybe quite a few left, all but forgotten on a shelf or under a bench.

Last time I used mine it was 10+ years ago.
I had to shorten some 10-32 stainless weld studs.
Did it with a 2" jewelers saw......25,000 to be exact.

Now I have 3500 pieces of oxygen free copper tubing to cut-to length,
so the Rouse has been dug out and dusted off once again,
and will be re-purposed (and re-fixtured) for the task.

Getting ready to put my Rouse Hand Miller up on the shelf till next time. I attached a photo, maybe someone else will recognize it and say "I've got one of those"

Rousemill.jpg

I was involved in the printing industry for a while... Rouse made equipment to saw lead with. Small machines....

I just scored a Rouse mitre cutter at the local scrap yard. Actually, I don't really know if it was a score or just another thing in the way but it pains me to see nicely made stuff like that crushed. The one I picked up is for cutting mitres on lead spacers or slugs for letter set press use it seems. I doubt I will ever put it to use other than hanging on the wall. Looks like the one here but slightly rusty;
Photo Index - H. B. Rouse & Co. - Miter Cutter | VintageMachinery.org

Back