What's new
What's new

HAAS Factory Tooling Quality???

danmcph

Plastic
I just purchased my first mill (HAAS VF2) and I am working on getting tooling. HAAS just started offering their house branded tooling and they are running promos (30% off etc). Does anyone know who is manufacturing the tooling and is it high quality?

Is it overpriced and the discount they are offering just brings the price inline with the quality?

What is the least expensive way to source all the startup tooling. I was leaning towards just buying name brand tooling as I see sales on it and building it over time but if the HAAS promos are a way to get a bunch of high quality tooling quickly that would be a convienent way to go.

I bought about a dozen of their ER32 holders, 3 of the face mill combos, and about 50 mixed size 3 flute endmills and am pretty impressed. Finish on AL from the facemills is not quite Mitsubishi quality but all of our parts are tumbled anyway and the 3 flute endmills are good general purpose carbide that give a good finish. ER holders are at least as good as generics. A tooling vendor of mine is really pissed at them because they have pretty much killed his new machine tooling cert business. I look at them like old Enco, a great place to shop for some decent stuff when they have a good sale but I figure their prices will go to hell when Gene decides to put together another racing team.

I know nothing of the Haas stuff. Do we know where it's made?
I highly suggest buying from Mari-Tool at least we know it's Made in the USA.

I am a big fan of Haas and have mostly Haas machines on the floor but there is exactly ZERO reasons to even think about using Haas tooling. Why? There are so many very good tooling companies that are closer, have better on-hand availability and have factory reps that are available to help you.

I am subscribed to Modern Machine Shop and They had a coupon included with the magazine. $100 off tools with no minimum. Played My song loud and clear. Ordered $90 worth (could have cut it closer) and order with another end mill came to $135-$100= $35 total. Ordered yesterday and supposed to ship late today. It may take Me awhile to use them, I don't try to use them till destruction so no abusive tests.

uhhh...the idea is really for a package deal (machine +tooling )when someone's buying the machine on time..
(they call it "financing" these days....) one stop shopping from the dealer. i would seriously doubt that
haas would gouge or cut corners on tooling and such . l

I bought some of their indexable lathe tooling holders and inserts recently. They had some sale at the end of the year and I needed to fill in some gaps. Bought mostly CNMG inserts and holders. The holders are Chinese or Taiwanese. The inserts, I would have to look. They seem to hold up well to my abuse and I am hard on inserts. Surface finish is good on my manual machine.

Have used their inserts for carbon steels like 1018 and can get a good surface finish, 4130/4140, stainless and aluminum. With proper feeds and speeds they seem to work well on my manual machine. I am happy enough and have enough to last me a long time.

I also bought some of their carbide end mills, but haven't used them yet. I tend to reserve my carbide for hard applications as my Index mill has a bit of slip in the table and it tends to chip carbide end mills if I'm not careful.

uhhh...the idea is really for a package deal (machine +tooling )when someone's buying the machine on time..
(they call it "financing" these days....) one stop shopping from the dealer. i would seriously doubt that
haas would gouge or cut corners on tooling and such . l

You would be surprised what some purchasing agent can doo to a companies reputation, by chasing after a low cost tooling supplier.....At least the PA got his/her bonus for saving money...:d

Yeah, Frank and Mari-Tool from many sides.
A startup and imports to in house making and respected all along that line and world class.
This amazing to me and says much.
Came from nowhere in this field and did all the right turns.

I do wonder who actually makes the tooling for Hass? This is called privet labeled and those who do it are not allowed to say so.
Bob

Back