What's new
What's new

Haas Rotary Castings

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Looking for information about the castings of older Haas rotaries. The early HRT7/HRT9/HRT160/HRT210 models.( the earlier Black and White bodied ones )

I want to drill into the casting and install some threaded holes in strategic areas and would like to know if I have to disassemble the whole thing to do so, or if I can get away with my plan without doing so and not getting chips in the works.

I know the bodies were/are castings, and machined to accept the Worm Wheel/Worm Gear, bearings, bits, baubles, and platter, but am not sure just how far they went in doing so. Are the corner areas still largely solid? If so, by how much?

Searching for some time now has revealed no real information, so I'm wondering if some brave soul here ever pulled one apart and might have pictures from the endeavor.

Thanks.

The closest I have come is this video ( of a newer HRT210 ) at 54 seconds in, but still really doesn't show much of what I seek.

Have you contacted HAAS ? Im sure they could help.

Yeaaahhhh... you might think so. Wouldn't you? :rolleyes5: I am sure that they very well could. And handily. For the record, all sarcasm aside, a friend works for them and tried for me. Positively no love.

Unless you have some contact there that can assist... Do you?

Otherwise, that is why I am asking here. Thanks.

Had you said in your post that you had I would not have responded.
Sorry to waste your time

Well, I didn't consider it a waste of my time. But I'm not sure why I needed to disclose that, either. I thought it was a simple request. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Anything is possible.

No one here has ever opened up their HRT rotary and been inside it? I truly thought that if anyone had, it would have been someone from this group. LOL. Oh well... looks like we'll be going where no man has gone before...

No one here has ever opened up their HRT rotary and been inside it? I truly thought that if anyone had, it would have been someone from this group. LOL. Oh well... looks like we'll be going where no man has gone before...

I had to repair the rotation lock-brake on a 210. The corner diagonally opposite servo worm gear probably is the thickest.

It sort of is a crap shoot however the index assembly is straight forward to disassemble so if you do break into the internal cavity, it wouldn't be the worst thing to address.

Everything has o-rings for the seals and the crucial dimensions are set up with shims and fitting spacers. Not hard to take apart and put back togather and have work correctly when you are done.

Thank you, Ziggy2. I appreciate the insight. I want to install some 1/2-13 threads in the casting, on the face opposite the sheetmetal/servo/pneumatic bits reside. The face with the Worm Shaft Housing Cover. I am thinking just a little inboard of the corners... :willy_nilly:

Thank you, Ziggy2. I appreciate the insight. I want to install some 1/2-13 threads in the casting, on the face opposite the sheetmetal/servo/pneumatic bits reside. The face with the Worm Shaft Housing Cover. I am thinking just a little inboard of the corners... :willy_nilly:

You probably have a good chance with no issues if you don't get too exuberant on the depth.

If this helps heres a pic of one. Also try those people who advertise rebuilding them.
haas.jpg

You probably have a good chance with no issues if you don't get too exuberant on the depth.

Thanks. Yeah... that's the whole thing, though... Trying to put a number on what "too exuberant" would be. :smoking: I would like to have a minimum of 0.600" of full 1/2-13 thread. So, I am wondering if it is possible to drill 0.750"-ish deep without breaking into the internal cavity if I stay 0.531"-0.625" off the adjoining edges. The idea being to attach a thick plate for mounting, there.

If this helps heres a pic of one. Also try those people who advertise rebuilding them.
View attachment 263796

Hi Del! Hope you're well. It's a good suggestion, and I have emailed two. One was curtly uninterested, and the other has not responded. ( yet? ) I'll try to find another one or two.

Thanks, Gentlemen.

Back