What's new
What's new

Had a laugh from McMaster.

Areomyst

Aluminum
I was surprised when I opened up my package and found the air fittings I ordered...

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

Normally I would bitch and complain, but the $2 fitting was worth the laugh. I think I'll let this one slip through the cracks, and share it with you guys. :P

Ciao!

~Josh

Yup, that piece slipped through the crack as well. I just bought a new Aero-Matic hose reel. Got it aired up, but no air at the Hanson. Hmmm? Disconnected the incoming, got air there. Hooked it back up and noticed the hose swell a bit from the pressure. The end fitting wasn't drilled through. It happens!

Haha, nice threads....

Yesterday I was thinking McMaster had finally screwed up one of my orders and sent the wrong size screws. Of course I was wrong and the parts were in the box. I had ordered two different sizes.

They are the best supply company ever.

Nice!

McMaster screwed up last year when I ordered a small lot of stuff. I noticed the UPS man had left me a large "extra" box. Upon opening I discovered I had been gifted somewhere around 5,000 #10 coffee filters.

A call to McMaster confirmed the screwup and they said to keep 'em.

So, I have around 2,500 days worth of coffee filters, a 6.84 year supply.

:D

Not to hijack the thread, but I needed some dividers for a old Equipto parts cabinet. After a major runaround with Equipto and Fastenal (who they recommended), I looked thru an old Mcmaster catalog and spotted the cabinet and the dividers, but they were no longer listed on the website. I punched in the old part# on the website, and "viola" there it was. It is a special order (deliver 2 weeks), but I ordered it and payed for it with a few clicks of the keyboard, Done. Great Company.:cheers:

So you got 2 with NPT and you got one of the new press in fittings. At least it was just the threads they missed. Just think if you only got a blank with just threads cut on one end.

I thought this was going to be a link to their catalog where they had split shaft collars now listed as O-ring stretchers.

I have gotten SHCS with out the cold headed hex.

I'd email them the picture, they may have a LOT more bad ones, they could ask the folks who pack to do their job and keep an eye out, I'd be embarrassed if I packed that up and shipped it.

I went ahead and e-mailed them. This is the first problem I can remember that I've had with an order from McMaster. Always top-notch.

~Josh

What's the consensus on how this happened? Did the part bypass the threader altogether (tossed from the "in" bin to the "out" bin), or did the part go through the machine but the tool was missing.

I have seen cases in auto part JIT manufacture where a clueless CNC operator runs off a few hundred machined parts with a busted tap, parts arrive to the assembly line minus threads in certain holes, and there's he** to pay.

Could have been a setup piece, or a broken thread tool. It may be easier to gauge the taper before threading.
or an operator put in .2 in an offset instead of .02 :-). Seen that one before "hey I changed the insert and now I have no threads" "what else did you do ?". "Bumped the offset up a bit to work it back in to size with the new insert".

I used to get called out to deal with production machines that had "odd" things happen, sort of an investigation more or less. One machine started making parts scrap in several directions with multiple tools. Offsets were to be written down in pencil after a change. offsets in machine matched the sheet, actually checking tool lengths revealed some tools should have different numbers. When you called up the offset page there is a "clear all" button, you can guess what happened, and what did NOT happen "hey I screwed up, we better run one part and check it". The guy cleared them all by mistake, entered the numbers on his sheet (which he and others chronically failed to erase and write in the new offset) and set it back into production making 6 engine blocks an hour. Automated gauging kicked them off as rejects...but nobody thought it was important that one machine started scrapping every part.

Bill

Could have been a setup piece, or a broken thread tool. It may be easier to gauge the taper before threading.

On second look - you'r right - those threads were cut! :eek:

I would have never guessed it. Those should have been rolled from a tangent head. (Solvo, Reed, Winter) But those appear to have been single pointed. Must be imports. I have no clue how China can single point something cheaper than we could form/shave/roll?
tsk.gif

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It's possible that the CNC machine had a tool bit change and the software ejected that
one. Just run a die over it, would take less time than to talk about it.

"just run a die over it"
I looked at the gold colored ones in my box and they are case hardened steel with plating. If they are like mine you will wreck a die. May be worth more as a tool box curiosity or you could pound it in to a tapered hole.

No problem. Since air fittings are usually garbage even if you buy pricey ones I buy the Harbor Freight Chinese junk ones, inspect them and rework them into matched sets. I usually buff down the oversized thread ones and teflon tape the undersized ones, I never completely re-threaded one. On the o.d.'s I will knurl the undersized ones up and cut the oversized ones down. I use all hose to run air and air leaks cost money, especially with the high price of electricity here.

Back