Haimer vs Tschorn 3d Tasters
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Haimer vs Tschorn 3d Tasters

    Hello all! I did search and did not see any recent information on 3D tasters, and really nothing that included the Tscorn line of 3D Tasters. Does anyone have a preference between the Haimer brand or the Tschorn brand of tasters?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    905
    Likes (Received)
    64

    Default

    Can't help you on the Tschorn, but I have a Haimer. Well worth the cost. Easy to use, but make sure you buy extra tips!

  3. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    No Tschorn owners? I'd think they would have been a bit more popular.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default

    I have a digital Haimer. Very nice to use. +1 on the spare tips, just in case.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    4,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5067
    Likes (Received)
    2704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CreeCustomGuns View Post
    No Tschorn owners? I'd think they would have been a bit more popular.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    My Haimer measures 4.5 inches from top of head (not inc. the shank) to the end of tip. What is the Tschorn's length?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2269
    Likes (Received)
    3526

    Default

    They look really nice, are they available in the states? I like the lathe model.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    They are available and seem to have a service office of some kind up north in Minnesota or nearby. I have been reading about them and I am not sure what you get for several hundred extra with the DREHPlus model for the lathe how is it any different that the others when they all work in 3 axis?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    My Haimer measures 4.5 inches from top of head (not inc. the shank) to the end of tip. What is the Tschorn's length?
    Including the shank, it says 135mm or about 5.3 inches. Looks comparable to the Haimer in overall length.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    755
    Likes (Received)
    2198

    Default

    I have both a Haimer and a Tschorn.

    I bought the Tschorn after one Haimer leaked (in the turret of my Robodrill). Fine, shit happens. Haimer's response was that I needed to wait 2 months for service, but they sell them on Amazon and were cool with me buying a whole new one (integrated taper BT30 model, so $600+) and returning the leaking one. Ok, so $600 out of pocket for a week and feeling weird about return fraud (that the manufacturer basically authorized).

    That Haimer would not hold position at all. 0.002-0.004" variance in readings every time I took it in/out of the turret. My thought is that the force required to remove it from the Robodrill finger puts a load on the adjustable spindle connection in such a way as to fuck up the concentricity adjustment. I called Haimer, I got one of their VP level folks on the phone, we chatted and it was pleasant (super knowledgeable guy about the industry, so we BSd for a good hour). In the end, Haimer USA sorta leaves the 3D Taster line of business up to Germany for all service and repair. He acknowledged it sucked and the need to work on it, but my impression was that it's just not a line of business that produces the revenue to get their time/attention.

    So I bought a Tschorn. Robert Tschorn is the dude who runs the company. When you email him, he responds personally. Their US distributors are pretty dedicated to the line and they either do service here, or work on an exchange basis (so if something happens, you aren't down for 6+ weeks). The Tschorn is a bit longer, but the design is a touch more robust. When functional, I don't think there is an accuracy difference between the two, but the fact that one is made by a company dedicated to the product line, where the Haimer is an afterthought to the big $$$ shrinker/balancer business sorta tells me which one I would buy if new.

  11. Likes sfriedberg, Ray Behner, bryan_machine liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    I have both a Haimer and a Tschorn.

    I bought the Tschorn after one Haimer leaked (in the turret of my Robodrill). Fine, shit happens. Haimer's response was that I needed to wait 2 months for service, but they sell them on Amazon and were cool with me buying a whole new one (integrated taper BT30 model, so $600+) and returning the leaking one. Ok, so $600 out of pocket for a week and feeling weird about return fraud (that the manufacturer basically authorized).

    That Haimer would not hold position at all. 0.002-0.004" variance in readings every time I took it in/out of the turret. My thought is that the force required to remove it from the Robodrill finger puts a load on the adjustable spindle connection in such a way as to fuck up the concentricity adjustment. I called Haimer, I got one of their VP level folks on the phone, we chatted and it was pleasant (super knowledgeable guy about the industry, so we BSd for a good hour). In the end, Haimer USA sorta leaves the 3D Taster line of business up to Germany for all service and repair. He acknowledged it sucked and the need to work on it, but my impression was that it's just not a line of business that produces the revenue to get their time/attention.

    So I bought a Tschorn. Robert Tschorn is the dude who runs the company. When you email him, he responds personally. Their US distributors are pretty dedicated to the line and they either do service here, or work on an exchange basis (so if something happens, you aren't down for 6+ weeks). The Tschorn is a bit longer, but the design is a touch more robust. When functional, I don't think there is an accuracy difference between the two, but the fact that one is made by a company dedicated to the product line, where the Haimer is an afterthought to the big $$$ shrinker/balancer business sorta tells me which one I would buy if new.
    This is incredibly helpful, thank you. I know a few people that have required repairs and ended up just buying another because all that was a pain in the ass with Haimer. I have seen these in Germany before and always wondered about them. I think I will go with theirs. Do you know who their US distributor is?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •