Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haimer vs Tschorn 3d Tasters

Hello all! I did search and did not see any recent information on 3D tasters, and really nothing that included the Tscorn line of 3D Tasters. Does anyone have a preference between the Haimer brand or the Tschorn brand of tasters?

Thank you!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't help you on the Tschorn, but I have a Haimer. Well worth the cost. Easy to use, but make sure you buy extra tips!

3. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Tschorn owners? I'd think they would have been a bit more popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a digital Haimer. Very nice to use. +1 on the spare tips, just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CreeCustomGuns View Post
    No Tschorn owners? I'd think they would have been a bit more popular.

My Haimer measures 4.5 inches from top of head (not inc. the shank) to the end of tip. What is the Tschorn's length?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They look really nice, are they available in the states? I like the lathe model.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are available and seem to have a service office of some kind up north in Minnesota or nearby. I have been reading about them and I am not sure what you get for several hundred extra with the DREHPlus model for the lathe how is it any different that the others when they all work in 3 axis?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    My Haimer measures 4.5 inches from top of head (not inc. the shank) to the end of tip. What is the Tschorn's length?
    Including the shank, it says 135mm or about 5.3 inches. Looks comparable to the Haimer in overall length.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have both a Haimer and a Tschorn.

I bought the Tschorn after one Haimer leaked (in the turret of my Robodrill). Fine, shit happens. Haimer's response was that I needed to wait 2 months for service, but they sell them on Amazon and were cool with me buying a whole new one (integrated taper BT30 model, so $600+) and returning the leaking one. Ok, so $600 out of pocket for a week and feeling weird about return fraud (that the manufacturer basically authorized).

That Haimer would not hold position at all. 0.002-0.004" variance in readings every time I took it in/out of the turret. My thought is that the force required to remove it from the Robodrill finger puts a load on the adjustable spindle connection in such a way as to fuck up the concentricity adjustment. I called Haimer, I got one of their VP level folks on the phone, we chatted and it was pleasant (super knowledgeable guy about the industry, so we BSd for a good hour). In the end, Haimer USA sorta leaves the 3D Taster line of business up to Germany for all service and repair. He acknowledged it sucked and the need to work on it, but my impression was that it's just not a line of business that produces the revenue to get their time/attention.

So I bought a Tschorn. Robert Tschorn is the dude who runs the company. When you email him, he responds personally. Their US distributors are pretty dedicated to the line and they either do service here, or work on an exchange basis (so if something happens, you aren't down for 6+ weeks). The Tschorn is a bit longer, but the design is a touch more robust. When functional, I don't think there is an accuracy difference between the two, but the fact that one is made by a company dedicated to the product line, where the Haimer is an afterthought to the big $$$ shrinker/balancer business sorta tells me which one I would buy if new.

11. Likes sfriedberg, Ray Behner, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    I have both a Haimer and a Tschorn.

I bought the Tschorn after one Haimer leaked (in the turret of my Robodrill). Fine, shit happens. Haimer's response was that I needed to wait 2 months for service, but they sell them on Amazon and were cool with me buying a whole new one (integrated taper BT30 model, so $600+) and returning the leaking one. Ok, so $600 out of pocket for a week and feeling weird about return fraud (that the manufacturer basically authorized).

That Haimer would not hold position at all. 0.002-0.004" variance in readings every time I took it in/out of the turret. My thought is that the force required to remove it from the Robodrill finger puts a load on the adjustable spindle connection in such a way as to fuck up the concentricity adjustment. I called Haimer, I got one of their VP level folks on the phone, we chatted and it was pleasant (super knowledgeable guy about the industry, so we BSd for a good hour). In the end, Haimer USA sorta leaves the 3D Taster line of business up to Germany for all service and repair. He acknowledged it sucked and the need to work on it, but my impression was that it's just not a line of business that produces the revenue to get their time/attention.

So I bought a Tschorn. Robert Tschorn is the dude who runs the company. When you email him, he responds personally. Their US distributors are pretty dedicated to the line and they either do service here, or work on an exchange basis (so if something happens, you aren't down for 6+ weeks). The Tschorn is a bit longer, but the design is a touch more robust. When functional, I don't think there is an accuracy difference between the two, but the fact that one is made by a company dedicated to the product line, where the Haimer is an afterthought to the big $$$ shrinker/balancer business sorta tells me which one I would buy if new.
    This is incredibly helpful, thank you. I know a few people that have required repairs and ended up just buying another because all that was a pain in the ass with Haimer. I have seen these in Germany before and always wondered about them. I think I will go with theirs. Do you know who their US distributor is?