What's new
What's new

Hamilton Varimatic Drill Press Question

Jonathans

Aluminum
I’m a new owner of a Hamilton Varimatic Drill Press. The operating handle is on a ratchet device held in by a spring loaded threaded, two part assemblyas shown in the pics attached. Can another user of this press tell me what the function is of this spring/screw assembly? Is it just to adjust ratchet tension and lock it? Why is there a ratchet in the first place?
31C38093-BC48-4C66-9C33-5097740F8E8D.jpg
EB3220BC-3289-4A09-9517-CE0B1947B64B.jpg

Attachments

• 0B61D796-D888-49DB-AA60-281D477E3BE8.jpg
    0B61D796-D888-49DB-AA60-281D477E3BE8.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 87
Many drill presses have three feed handles because it is a convenient way to let the operator select the best-positioned handle for each job.

Some drill presses and vertical mills with quills have a single handle. They usually have a means of changing the handle position to one appropriate for the job at hand. Less common, but still seen, is a single handle on a ratcheting device. I have seen antique drill presses with ratcheting down feed levers. There was a recent thread about such a ratcheting handle sold as an aftermarket attachment for Bridgeport mills. Perhaps you would like to read the comments.

M-head quill speed handle

Larry

I have one. As Larry says, the ratchet is for setting the handle position and the screw can adjust how easy it is to ratchet or to lock it.

How's the rubber cone drive on yours? Mine's quite good for such an old machine. I put in all new bearings. Mine came with a brand new Albrecht chuck installed by the previous owner, and cost about as much as I paid for the whole machine. I only use it occasionally, but I do use it.

Thanks guys,
I have other one armed drill presses and never had an issue sonInguess I was over thinking the technology on the Varimatic. Still kind of surprised folks thought it necessary to adjust the ratchet tension.
I just got mine cleaned up. Surprisingly the cone drive is in excellent shape. Once I find the lube points and get her lubed up I check what my runout is. Unfortunately my press came with a jacobs chuck and not the Albrecht!
I’ll have to keep my eye on the Bay for a 0-3/8 Albrecht! I need to check but I thing my spindle is threaded and not a 0 taper.

I’ll have to keep my eye on the Bay for a 0-3/8 Albrecht! I need to check but I thing my spindle is threaded and not a 0 taper.

3/8 seems way too large. No way would my Hamilton turn a 3/8 drill and actually cut. You’d also lose a couple inches of headroom. Mine has a 1/8” Albrecht, which seems about right. I have other machines for bigger tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad. I meant 3/16! Tjermite, thanks for the slice of history. You must be a tad older than I. My minimum wage was $1.65!

I need to check but I thing my spindle is threaded and not a 0 taper.

Could you update this with what you found here? I have this machine with a 1/2" Jacobs chuck adapter brazed in to the drive shaft. I'm probably going to try and remove it and get the proper adapter, and I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is also threaded, but I haven't found any other reference to this machine having anything other than a morse 0.

Back