What's new
What's new

Hand tools - what brands these days

snowman

Diamond
I started organizing my hand tools today...moved five years ago, figure it's about time.

I found that I am flat out missing my metric 1/4" drive socket set.

All my other socket sets are craftsman/snap on/s&k. They've held up well, but I don't want to spend on snap on.

I also don't really care for craftsman fit finish anymore.

Not even sure s&k is still made.

Anybody have anything they have bought new recently that surprised them on the value/cost side?

I'll buy used if I can find them, but since I stopped going to the used tool store my savings account has exploded, so it's best I just pony up the cash and be done.

My 1/4 drive sockets are so old I don't remember where or why I bought them. They are crap, and totally adequate for 1/4 drive. I'm sure anything available today will be better than mine. If you just noticed them missing after 5 years, you probably don't need top notch. Anyway, in general, I like Kobalt better than Crafstman.

If you just noticed them missing after 5 years, you probably don't need top notch.

I've mostly been lucky...and using up very bit of a pair of pretty reasonably reliable cars, and zero wrenching for other people. Before the move, I used them constantly. The 1/4" drive stuff was used mostly for automotive interior and electrical work.

I also lost my favorite 1/4" drive snap on flexi head ratchet...the only tool I've ever bought off the truck.

But I like the adequate for 1/4" drive comment. My 1/2"+ drive stuff is ALL Mac/Snap On/S&K back when it was made in the USA with quality steel. 3/8" is mostly craftsman, bought first year out of high school. 1/4" gets lost constantly, and is a complete mismatch. I really like armstrong when I can find it.

I pretty much only buy Proto for chrome, impacts, punches, and pullers. I also will buy specialty stuff from SK Tools, all their stuff is pretty good too, especially their hard-handled screwdrivers (I guess they had a bad period a while ago). Proto can be had at a good price from Zoro.com: 1,000s of Brands, Millions of Products (which is somehow related to Grainger iirc, but normal world prices :crazy:) especially if you can snag one of their coupons. HJE Home American Made is a great place for SK, and just a neat place too.

Wright Tool is also awesome for mainline tools, but a little light on the metric offerings if yer gonna be working on them foreign makes...

FYI—Armstrong isn’t around anymore. They had been bought by the Apex group a while back, put out some decent offerings, and I guess just got axed by the corporates in favor of Gearwrench. :confused:

Williams still around and USA made for their nicer chrome tools last I checked. You just have to be careful because they offer simultaneous Taiwanese and USA lines—-USA products have product codes with letters (like M-604 or WSM11-HRC) while imports will have just a 6 digit number code (like 30923). I prefer their domestic lines.

Urea in Mexico has been pretty good stuff. I understand they bought the Mexican Proto plant and tooling. Last set of tools I bought was Proto all the American made stuff was good, some of their imports were not Proto quality (locking pliers made in Spain were not as good as Vice Grip).

Yeah Proto does go outside for some tools—the Facom rebadges are actually pretty good (some specialty oddball metric wrenches and stuff) and their locking pliers (made by Grip On in Spain iirc). Grip On has a good reputation, but I suppose nothing will replace USA Vise-Grips...sigh, not that you can gets those new anymore. Almost all other Proto stuff is USA made.

Knipex are my personal pick for anything plier or lockring related!

Precision Instruments for torque wrenches! Disclaimer - I work there so that may or may not affect my recommendation haha! Knipex is good for pliers and cutters. Williams is a Snap-On brand and I know they share some mfg resources but not sure exactly which ones. Good luck in your search!

I just got a set of Grey Pneumatic sockets per some youtube hype. They are actually pretty decent. Impact Socket Sets and Duo-Sockets by Grey Pneumatic
They are touted as "impact" sockets. But, the wall thickness on these 3/8" drives is not so thick that they couldn't be used for 98% of tasks.
And, I prefer black-oxide over chrome. Only downside is visibility if you drop in an inconspicuous area.

Dang I wish I could remember the brand... maybe Pittsburg? They are like Harbor frieght offerings, but the wrenches are definitely top notch fit and function. Nice smooth rounded edges on the 'handle' portions.... I think they might be as good, or better, than the early 90's Craftsmans I have....

Knipex are my personal pick for anything plier or lockring related!

Amen^

I also own Snap On, Knipex, Proto, SK, Blue Point, Wiha, Wera, Bondhus, Armstrong, Ridgid, Crescent...probably some others.

Ratchets, extensions, sockets and combo wrenches are from Snappy. The MFers just work and the dual 80 ratchets are the bee's knees. Hex keys are Bondhus and pliers are mostly Knipex, I feel these 2 offer the best in their realm. Everything else I buy where I feel I get the most value for my buck.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Dang I wish I could remember the brand... maybe Pittsburg? They are like Harbor frieght offerings, but the wrenches are definitely top notch fit and function. Nice smooth rounded edges on the 'handle' portions.... I think they might be as good, or better, than the early 90's Craftsmans I have....

HF now has ICON brand, designed to compete with Snap-On. Their tools even the low cost ones have a life time warranty. I've seen tools returned with no questions that were clearly abused. HF has upped the quality on their hand tools, and electrics. They appear to pay attention to the 1star reviews and make ongoing improvements. But it is from China, and there's those that won't export money.

I've been buying the new Craftsman and Gearwrench tools for my mobile kit, it's usable and not a big loss if it gets lost. My home box is filled with Fap-on and the old, good, Craftsmans stuff I have left over. Lately, I've switched to Knipex, Wera, Wiha, and Channellock and Crescent when I find them on sale. AvE had a video on NePros, it's a Japanese high end tool line that looks pretty reliable. I have found no supplier for decent files anywhere, I'm not far from ordering some knife steel and hand cutting some miniature vixen and mill files.

Proto!

I sure appreciate purchasing Bonney tools "back then" . Still a joy in the hand... every time.

I have some proto, Caterpillar and others Knipex make nice pliers they are german.

Cat has tools of comparable quality to snap on and if you work there you get staff discount, snap on man is not happy with staff buying CAT tools...
i think either proto or snap on make the cat tools

I used to use Gedore for the past 30yrs. A great product here and well nown. Dont have much use for the 1/4" sockets. 1/2 & 3/4" does majoroty of the work. Of late have been replacing the Gedors with Kingtoni. I like their feel and finish. I would consider them middle of the road in qulaity. In my personal workshop, I have Williams, Snapon lower grade I think, just so my employees cant steal my wrenches to replace wwhat they have lost or stolen in their workshop.n I have some Facom in the bigger sizes 24mm and up and like them a lot.

I use snapon exclusively, although they have an unfavorable surprise on the cost side ;)

I have about 90% snap on, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 drive sockets, wrenches ETC. I just went on a Snap On truck for the first time in years. I needed a 1/4" deep well 1/4 drive socket. 25.00!!!!! For 1 f*ckin socket!!!!! It is still on the truck!

I have about 90% snap on, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 drive sockets, wrenches ETC. I just went on a Snap On truck for the first time in years. I needed a 1/4" deep well 1/4 drive socket. 25.00!!!!! For 1 f*ckin socket!!!!! It is still on the truck!

Ugh...no shit. The ratchet I lost cost $47. I'm sure the equivalent is closer to $125 now.

I used to go on the truck with all the guys just to shop, then go to ebay to buy.

I miss the estate sales of guys that worked at Ford. As a retirement "gift", ford usually loaded up your tool box into your truck for you. Your tool box was of course yours....most of the hand tools came from the crib though. So they were all wright, cornwell, armstrong, etc.

Back