What's new
What's new

Handy little layout squares

Shadon

Hot Rolled
I made 3 sets of one piece squares at the shop / 1" set / 2" set / 3" set, I got the idea from a framers "speed square" and I thought some "mini" squares would be handy for layout and mill vice set up. I have been using them for a few days, and gotta say, I really like them.

They are made from 1/4" O-1, hardened, tempered and ground in matching sets, each set is made in a left/right configuration.

1" set shown.

Attachments

• 2014-01-06 20.44.23.jpg
    2014-01-06 20.44.23.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,456
  • 2014-01-06 20.44.45.jpg
    2014-01-06 20.44.45.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 2014-01-06 20.45.04.jpg
    2014-01-06 20.45.04.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,200
I made 3 sets of one piece squares at the shop / 1" set / 2" set / 3" set, I got the idea from a framers "speed square" and I thought some "mini" squares would be handy for layout and mill vice set up. I have been using them for a few days, and gotta say, I really like them.

They are made from 1/4" O-1, hardened, tempered and ground in matching sets, each set is made in a left/right configuration.

1" set shown.

Nice! How did you color them post-grind?

Denis

Nice! How did you color them post-grind?

Denis

That is a cold blue gun finish, I am still learing the process, gray scotch brite by hand, high PH solvent cleaner, warm the part in hot tap water, wearing rubber gloves the whole time, 30 minute dip in the acid with light agitation, followed by removal into clean water for 30 minutes leaving the finish undisturbed, hang to dry for 2 hours, followed by a light cleaning and oil rub.

I came up with this after dropping a typical "L" type square and knocking it out of adjustment, I think these will take the bumps and bruises found around a shop.

Very nicely done. And the design is pretty clever too with the indexing edge on the 90 on one side and 45 the other. Excellent design and execution. The bluing is a nice touch. I really wish I had something like that.

Denis

Very nice idea. I've worked with that cold blueing before and it can be tricky especially with large items like shotgun barrels where you have to do it in two shots. It's tricky to get it where you don't see the overlap. Great little idea though.

I get it or at least I would like to get it/some, so count me in if you choose to make them available even the 60/30's beautiful work, I can always appreciate "art"

Tim

I posted this to kind of get your creative mind going and thought you would like to make your own, would even be a good exercise for an apprentice.

I will make a few sets of the 2" size and see if they sell, they will always make good gifts if not.

Back