hanging a wall-sculpture with security hardware
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hanging a wall-sculpture with security hardware

I'm using "security hardware" that normally consists of two sliding brackets on the top and a pin on the bottom that turns to secure paintings and things to walls. I have an application where I would like to use 3 of the pins to hang an aluminum flat sculpture to the wall instead of using the 2 sliding brackets and pin. The reason for the 3 pins is that it's an open sculpture and the pins are more minimal looking.

Someone told me that it can't be done since the pins are not load-bearing. However, the pin screws are bigger than the bracket screws, and the sculpture only weighs about 40 lbs. Structurally, if there is a screw with a bracket on the wall, or the same screw with no bracket, and there is a radial(?) force pulling down on the screw, isn't it just about the same in terms of "load-bearing"?

In other words, a #6 screw in a plastic plug in drywall is going to hold about the same amount of weight as a #6 screw in a plastic plug - with a bracket - in drywall correct?

I realize that the bracket spreads the load a bit on the wall but I think that the pull-out strength is going to be about the same. Would you agree or disagree?

download-1.jpgdownload.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm adding to this question because having thought about it more, wouldn't a force pulling down on a bracket held to the wall with one screw even be less that that same screw without the bracket? It seems like the bracket would act as a lever and possibly even aid at pulling out the screw rather than help it stay in. Does that make any sense, or does the distribution of weight against the wall from the bracket help the screw stay in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You say*security. is this anti theft or anti sesmic security?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the shredded carrots in the Jell-O. People around here are not helpful.

R

7. Likes TeachMePlease, HuFlungDung liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get the shredded carrots in the Jell-O. People around here are not helpful.

R
    You put them in whole and then shred (in a production environment).

9. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all these insightful comments.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would suggest using an electrical box. They are rated for hanging fixtures. If they are mounted per instructions. For really heavy use, get a ceiling fan box. You can look up the mounting and support information on any UL listed electrical equipment. Then you can use cool covers on the boxes and it can blend into the wall.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you not use a French Cleat? (something like this)

https://www.amazon.com/Hangman-Heavy...85617350&psc=1

You can even section the part into smaller lengths, and use multiple shorter lengths.

I am assuming you are asking your question based on static load, not for seismic or anti-theft purposes.

If the latter, then never mind....

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R
    I had trouble with this, too, because of having to deal with all sorts of lengths and diameter of carrots. And the thing is, the grater wheel is a tapered cone, so not knowing exactly where the carrot hits the cone makes it nearly impossible to determine exactly how many turns of the crank it takes to grind a carrot: not enough turns and you end up with whole chunks of carrots in the jello.

Finally, I made an Excel spreadsheet and saved all the trials I had made with various carrots over the years. Works for me, should work for anyone

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Finally, I made an Excel spreadsheet and saved all the trials I had made with various carrots over the years. Works for me, should work for anyone
    Exactly!! I think the OP should do that, to figure out what his problem is. Wait....how on Earth would Excel even help? What variables and equations would you need the software to figure out? The percentage of failure? That makes no Gadamned sense at all!!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R
    Back story for those not familiar with Utah traditions:

Any social event where food is served must include at least one large tray of orange jello filled with shredded carrots. It's a Utah law, I believe. In an emergency, green jello may be substituted, but the shredded carrots are mandatory.

16. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    Back story for those not familiar with Utah traditions:

Any social event where food is served must include at least one large tray of orange jello filled with shredded carrots. It's a Utah law, I believe. In an emergency, green jello may be substituted, but the shredded carrots are mandatory.
    Only as it applies to Manufacturing, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly!! I think the OP should do that, to figure out what his problem is. Wait....how on Earth would Excel even help? What variables and equations would you need the software to figure out? The percentage of failure? That makes no Gadamned sense at all!!!!
    I don't know, but I bet a certain member HAS a spreadsheet to cover this EXACT problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    I don't know, but I bet a certain member HAS a spreadsheet to cover this EXACT problem.
    Maybe that would keep him busy for a few days and off the Net. How many Carrot failures can you expect with a bushel?

R