What's new

Hard Bar Ends in HR 1045 ???

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 3,114

Ox

Diamond
I got in a few bars of 6.5" round 1045 a while back and found that the bar ends were hard.
HARD!

Hard enough to muck up my carbide inserts!

I fought through one part, and then made sure to make scrap of the other ends.

Apparently I couldn't count, and I had to order another bar, from a different source, and the bars doubtfully came from the same mill as one batch was 24' long, and the other was 20'. The 20' one was Nucor. IDK about the others.

I tried the bar end on the new (Nucor) bar, and it too was hard, and I had to scrap it.

I have ran much large D 1045, but usually much larger than this, and those are typically cut when I get them, not full bars.
So if this is common on large bars, I wouldn't know as they service centers would have already pitched that portion.

But on smaller sizes, I don't run a lot of 1045 small (CD) bar, but I have never encountered anything like this before.

Have y'all seen this? (I ass_u_me that you have)
Is this common?
And if so - why? The OD isn't hard.

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

When the bars are cut too cold with a hot saw the ends harden. The ends might be 60 HRC, but in my experience only a 1/2 inch would be that hard. Nucor sizes top out at around 6-1/2 inches, so larger bars were from other mills.

The 6.5" bars had been cold finished in the centerless, and you could clearly see the distinction in the sheen on the finish goes back a good 3/4 to an inch.

I had to trim about a 1/2" off of one of the other bars (6.25") to git the last pc in to size, and the saw cut it fine (not sure of time duration to doo so?) and I never gave it a thought, until a little bit ago I pulled a part out of the mill that you could clearly see that the HSS finish mill didn't much care for it - down a good 1/2".

Fortunately it must have been a little softer that far in, as it got drilled 21/32 with an Allied #0 spade, which is a LOT of blade sticking out of a small holder, and I am already nervous about that fact, and to think that it drilled through that! :bowdown:
But when I hit it with a file to de-bur, it flicked off the part like a die steel.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I run a bunch of 3.5” dia 1045 HR…….. found out the hard way that the ends are as hard as Hilary Clinton’s heart………inserts did not like it one bit. Nor did the drill or boring bar…………:bawling:

I run a bunch of 3.5” dia 1045 HR…….. found out the hard way that the ends are as hard as Hilary Clinton’s heart………inserts did not like it one bit. Nor did the drill or boring bar…………:bawling:

A better analogy would be "Hard like the heart of trump, who wanted to destroy American Democracy to protect his own ego (and save himself the risk of legal repercussions) when he lost the election".

Yours is irrational hatred of someone who's been demonized by enemies of Democracy.

Mine is a factual statement on what someone actually did.

Accuracy counts, whether in making a part or creating a metaphor...

A better analogy would be "Hard like the heart of trump, who wanted to destroy American Democracy to protect his own ego (and save himself the risk of legal repercussions) when he lost the election".

Yours is irrational hatred of someone who's been demonized by enemies of Democracy.

Mine is a factual statement on what someone actually did.

Accuracy counts, whether in making a part or creating a metaphor...

Aaaand down the sewer this thread goes....

Aaaand down the sewer this thread goes....

TDS....................................

Yeah..............not sure why they are that hard? I mean it's 1045 after all...............how could there be enough carbon in it? And it's not just a thin crust..........Some hunks I had the hardness was quite deep............1/4"+

I think that you fella's reading comprehension is lacking at times.

When I read that, it sounded to me like he thought that the analogy was a gross exageration, and that her heart is Shirley much harder than those bar ends.

How did y'all git sumpthing differn't?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Its a very poor metaphor. There is no way you can get 1045 that hard, just not enough carbon.

Ox, how were the ends cut? I'm having a hard time imagining how they quenched a large piece of 1045 fast enough to get hardening at all, let alone 1" deep. The nose on a TTT diagram for a plain carbon is only a few seconds and anything with the mass of a 6 1/2" bar would self temper a quick quench.

I guess the only scenario I can imagine is a saw while the bar is still hot, and enough water cooling on the blade of the saw to quench the bar end. I'm still surprised it doesn't self temper to near the hardness of the rest of the bar.

IDK if you will be able to see it in the pic or not, but the blue bar has a cupped end.
I took the wire wheel to the paint on this one and there is some signs of saw markings, but for the most part the end is just really smooth.
Not sure how that was produced?

The black bar is pretty much flat and square and looks to have been sawn.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2807.jpg
    DSCN2807.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 113
IDK if you will be able to see it in the pic or not, but the blue bar has a cupped end.
I took the wire wheel to the paint on this one and there is some signs of saw markings, but for the most part the end is just really smooth.
Not sure how that was produced?

The black bar is pretty much flat and square and looks to have been sawn.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mosta my bars ends look like that too.......fairly clean flat cut...............maybe a flying abrasive saw as they are rollin' it? Dunno.............I just lop of the first 3/4" inch or so on a bar and drive on.................

I think that you fella's reading comprehension is lacking at times.

When I read that, it sounded to me like he thought that the analogy was a gross exageration, and that her heart is Shirley much harder than those bar ends.

How did y'all git sumpthing differn't?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

So you really think that HC is worse than dt? Why? Are you so afraid of smart women that you'd prefer a traitorous man?

FWIW - I think that they both are the worst of the worst, and it is amazing that they both haven't been on American Greed yet.

How bad one is has no regards on how bad the other'n is.
They're both P'sOS and it is amazing that in a country as our how we end up choosing from the bottom of the barrel each November.

So, does the Rockwell of Don play into the eqazsion of how hard Mizz Rodham is?

Now quit gitt'n all up in arms.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Are you done yet?

B/C you have yet to bring anything to the table regarding hard 1045 that I have seen.

---------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back