What's new
What's new

Hardened steel for bushings

spazz

Plastic
Hello everyone.
I have a product that I have been producing for airsoft guns for quite some time.
Bushings made from heat treated steal. They work very well and are considered to be the best by many people that use them.
I am changing manufacturer's and I am looking at new materials.
First thing, bearings and softer materials usually used for bushings are not under consideration. similar stuff has been on the market for years and they fail on a regular basis. No bronze, brass or similar materials will be considered. They are not good materials for my purposes because of the way these things are used.

Current material being used is 20CrMoTi (as listed from my original manufacturer in hk). I also made a couple of sample runs in m2 hss, but they botched the jobs, one of the reasons I am changing manufacturer's.

The current manufacture I am dealing with is recommending 20Cr. They say it will get to 55hrc but the only place i could find stats on the material for after heat treat says that material gets to about 28-34hrc. I can't find the 20CrMoTi stats anywhere.
I am looking for a material that will get me 50+hrc without moving around to much.

Project sizes are 5.9/6/7/8/9mm od, 3mm id, 2mm thick with a .6mm flange.
Holes are reamed to final size after heat treat.

Reason for using harder material:
I am using a harder material for my bushings because these gearboxes don't run constantly.
They have intermittent spurts of activity. Which gives the axles time to push through the lubricant and have metal to metal contact between cycles.
The axles on the gears are 45-55hrc and when used with my bushings, skate across the surface instead of digging in and causing wear like they do in bronze/brass/stainless and other softer materials.
Bearings fail on a regular basis. Either because they have crap cages for the balls, tolerances that are too loose, or because users install/maintain them improperly. Plus 2 of the gears see a significant axial load, and radial ball bearings are not good for that.
Thank you for your time.

Edit:
I would also consider having these made stateside if I could find a manufacture that could produce these without killing me in cost. Usual batch runs are 2400pc+ of each size

Last edited:
Current material being used is 20CrMoTi (as listed from my original manufacturer in hk). I also made a couple of sample runs in m2 hss, but they botched the jobs, one of the reasons I am changing manufacturer's.

The current manufacture I am dealing with is recommending 20Cr. They say it will get to 55hrc but the only place i could find stats on the material for after heat treat says that material gets to about 28-34hrc. I can't find the 20CrMoTi stats anywhere.
I am looking for a material that will get me 50+hrc without moving around to much.
20CrMoTi has to be carburized or nitrided before/instead of hardening to get >50hrc so thats probably you haven't found matching info.
Nitriding - Wikipedia

Hello everyone.
I have a product that I have been producing for airsoft guns for quite some time.
Bushings made from heat treated steal. They work very well and are considered to be the best by many people that use them.
I am changing manufacturer's and I am looking at new materials.
First thing, bearings and softer materials usually used for bushings are not under consideration. similar stuff has been on the market for years and they fail on a regular basis. No bronze, brass or similar materials will be considered. They are not good materials for my purposes because of the way these things are used.

Project sizes are 5.9/6/7/8/9mm od, 3mm id, 2mm thick with a .6mm flange.
Holes are reamed to final size after heat treat.

Reason for using harder material:
I am using a harder material for my bushings because these gearboxes don't run constantly.
They have intermittent spurts of activity. Which gives the axles time to push through the lubricant and have metal to metal contact between cycles.
The axles on the gears are 45-55hrc and when used with my bushings, skate across the surface instead of digging in and causing wear like they do in bronze/brass/stainless and other softer materials.
Bearings fail on a regular basis. Either because they have crap cages for the balls, tolerances that are too loose, or because users install/maintain them improperly. Plus 2 of the gears see a significant axial load, and radial ball bearings are not good for that.
Thank you for your time.

Edit:
I would also consider having these made stateside if I could find a manufacture that could produce these without killing me in cost. Usual batch runs are 2400pc+ of each size

2mm thick by 6-9mm od with a 3mm id is more of a washer than a bushing. "Reaming" to size after heat treat isn't going to work. You will need to grind them most likely (or wireburn) as they are a little stubby to chuck on and hard turn IMO, but could be done with maybe a good 5c step collet or something...

Anyways, as to your material, on that small of a part most tool steels will "stay put" after heat treat. S7, A2, D2 - any of those should work, and they can all get to and above 50Rc

S7 is very stable but its not the most inexpensive stuff out there. Seems 8620 and carburize would be a good fit, but without having more info on your part, tolerances etc, its hard to do much more than speculate. Either one would get you the hardness you want.

20CrMoTi has to be carburized or nitrided before/instead of hardening to get >50hrc so thats probably you haven't found matching info.
Nitriding - Wikipedia
Thank you for the info

2mm thick by 6-9mm od with a 3mm id is more of a washer than a bushing. "Reaming" to size after heat treat isn't going to work. You will need to grind them most likely (or wireburn) as they are a little stubby to chuck on and hard turn IMO, but could be done with maybe a good 5c step collet or something...

Anyways, as to your material, on that small of a part most tool steels will "stay put" after heat treat. S7, A2, D2 - any of those should work, and they can all get to and above 50Rc
I'm not trying grinding again. Most of my product was unusable after my first company tried it.
They are using a jig to put the bushings back in the machine after the hardening process.
I will ask about A2/D2.

S7 is very stable but its not the most inexpensive stuff out there. Seems 8620 and carburize would be a good fit, but without having more info on your part, tolerances etc, its hard to do much more than speculate. Either one would get you the hardness you want.
I'm not sure if I would consider S7 over A2/D2 since it has less wear resistance and ultimately that's what I am after. The hardness and wear resistance.
Tolerance wise. The most important one is the hole size which is why I have them reamed. The hole and od is held to .02mm the thickness and flange are not critical.

Thank you for the info

I'm not trying grinding again. Most of my product was unusable after my first company tried it.
They are using a jig to put the bushings back in the machine after the hardening process.
I will ask about A2/D2.

It's not the grinding process that made your parts unusable, it's your supplier. I'm ASSuming by hk that you mean Hong Kong. In which case if you're trying to pinch pennies, you probably have a real shit supplier.

8620 carburized would be a good bet, with honing afterwards. Or you could use something like 4140 prehard and send it out for Nitrowear. That gives a surface hardness around 75Rc then tapering off to material hardness at about .012" deep. Then there is no finishing needed afterwards. Dynablue

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I would consider S7 over A2/D2 since it has less wear resistance and ultimately that's what I am after. The hardness and wear resistance.
Tolerance wise. The most important one is the hole size which is why I have them reamed. The hole and od is held to .02mm the thickness and flange are not critical.

Ok, reaming is likely fine for what you are doing, but what I meant is you aren't going to ream something 50+rc without a lot of issues IMO (even with carbide). A 'typical' reamer is made of HSS or cobalt, neither of which is going to cut hardened steel. You can get carbide tipped and solid carbide, but they cost considerably more. .02mm = .0008" so a reamer pre-heat treat would probably get you there if that is +/-.02mm, but reamers can be finicky... I would not want to do it that way, but....

Anyways, provide a print with tolerances and heat treat requirement and let the vendor figure out how to make them, don't specify to "ream" the ID as they will probably have a better way to finish it, let them figure it out. You will need a way to accurately check them yourself though, gage pins would be my choice (they will get you within plus or minus range with the correct sizes -ie one plus size, one minus size and maybe one half thou size), there are small hole gages and stuff, but they will be spendy.

If wear resistance is your main criteria, then CPM 10V is your metal. Also known as A11. It isn't the monst amenable metal to being worked, but it sure is the most wear resistant.

Steel Selection

Thank you for the info
I will ask about A2/D2.

I'll take a run at selecting an alloy steel. Have you considered ASTM 52100. The cost will be less than tool steel. Also look at case hardened low carbon steel. The results are a tough inner core with a hard case on the surface. Look-up Carburizing on the Internet. It sounds like a hard surface is the only requirement. Consider the manufacturing process "Fine Edge Blanking" You may be able to stamp an acceptable product without reaming.

Good Luck
Roger

I'll take a run at selecting an alloy steel. Have you considered ASTM 52100. The cost will be less than tool steel. Also look at case hardened low carbon steel. The results are a tough inner core with a hard case on the surface. Look-up Carburizing on the Internet. It sounds like a hard surface is the only requirement. Consider the manufacturing process "Fine Edge Blanking" You may be able to stamp an acceptable product without reaming.

Good Luck
Roger
You mentioned you were going to abandon your present supplier. Your supplier is interested in providing the best product to his customers. From your comments he had problems accomplishing that goal. You have spent time, money, and effort with your supplier. He has developed knowledge in producing your needs. Your job is to develop good suppliers. So what have you done or not done to produce a quality supplier. Have you provided him with proper drawings, written spec's. and tooling? We all need to improve our management skills. Starting over with a new supplier is the most expensive way to "fix" problems. There may be an opportunity to work through the problems and at the lowest possible cost to your company.

What are your annual requirements and can you provide a photo of the product?

Roger

Hello everyone it has been a bit since I have posted here.
I did end up switching manufacturers ,the current material that I am using is AISI-D2 I had them run some samples in a new materials one they recommended is GCr15 Chinese Equivalent to 252100 and AISI - 06 my preference is for the the AISI 06 the graphite will help prevent galling in the boundary layer bubu lubrication.Airsoft gearboxes rarely run for longer than 5 - 10 seconds there is lots of start/stop action in them not the issue that I am looking for assistance in though.
there seems to be a heat treatment issue I think it might be a prep issue prior to the actual heat treatment.they told me they are using a 'salt medium' they list this as the way they need to do it because of the size of the parts the parts are 8 mm OD, 2 mm thickness. The problem is that they have pitting on the running face of the bushing, I think this might be a prep issue over the actual heat treatment medium because the pitting is almost exclusively on the face not that OD, ID or the back side of the bushing I have pictures that I can provide the pitting is more prevalent on this see the GCR15 bushings than the AISI 06 but it is still there does anyone have any ideas on how is this issue can be solved? I would like to say that the issue was not present in the production run of the AIDI-D2 bushings that I had them make but don't want to have them do another run of AISI D2 and it become an issue I am also considering moving manufacturers to the US as long as I can find a manufacturer that won't priced me out of the market .
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Try Misumi. I think they will quote making them if not one of their standard sizes.
ttps://us.misumi-ec.com

Back