UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge esm59 turret adjustment

Good morning

I have an esm59 that has a "loose turret". Not the turret itself, but the base the turret sits on (the part that slides). I can move it up and down slightly, side to side it is tight. Is this just normal wear, or something I can adjust? I know this is a very old machine, and for what I use it for, this play is within specs. Just wanted to know if I can make it tighter.

Thanks - Michael

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which kind of turret do you have? The 1940's original turret has six sides, but Hardinge also sold the 1960 round turret model to fit the ESM.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A photo would be nice.... There is a link to a parts manual in the link below. Hopefully it will help.

Hardinge TR59 , ESM59 split bed lathe compound problems

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Which kind of turret do you have? The 1940's original turret has six sides, but Hardinge also sold the 1960 round turret model to fit the ESM.

Larry
    It is 6 sided, not round

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not the cam locks, those tighten fine. what has play is the sliding portion which has the turret on top, moves up and down slightly. Just wondered if that can be tightened up, not a real problem. thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some parts drawings and photos. The 9" turret is the same design as the 7", but the base is 1" taller. The sliding guide surface is rectangular, which means there are four horizontal surfaces that can wear and create vertical clearance, both at the front and the back. It all comes apart, so the base and the two rectangular strips on the top of the base can be surface ground or scraped to tighten it up.

Larry

dsc01366-2-.jpg dsc01367-2-.jpg dsc00249.jpg cat-7-turret-3.jpg cat-7-turret-2.jpg

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This ought to be posted in the Hardinge section; & might attract more eyeballs there.

sideways, the turret has a gib on each side, so the slide can be adjusted both for center location, turret holes to spindle center. And for alignment of the travel, to be parallel to the spindle axis. This is important for round, accurate work especially for work that will include a significant percent of full travel of the slide.

Up and down, there are 5 surfaces on each side to grind or scrape. 10 total for up/down both sides.
    I "messed" with - IOW not a full re-scrape - when acquiring my round turret ESM a couple decades ago & was able to take out the slop in that direction. I did fully align it, because i needed to bore at least one 3/4" shank hole for some turret tooling including Geometrics, and Slater rotary broach heads.

My Hex turret is actually fairly tight, so have not investigated deeply.
    One problem with tightening the vertical alignment is that it will almost surely lower the turret hole centerline compared to the CL of the lathe spindle. In current condition, it is like a sloppy TS - drilling tools & even reamers can climb to find center, in many cases. (at some level it will lead to bell-mouthing, though) & of course it can be a problem for controlling single point boring, turning, form tools depending how your orient them.

OTOH, if the slide is worn such that it actually slopes downhill, fixing that alignment will bring the current center up considerably, though not to true center. Then the accommodation can be made (when critical) by typical turret tool holders that are designed for 2D alignment. Alternately figure out how, where to shim......

good luck!
    smt