What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H VS Feeler high accuracy lathe cut off attachment

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
Does anyone know if the bolt pattern on a Hardinge cutoff attachment that bolts to the headstock will match the bolt pattern on the Feeler copy of the Hardinge lathe? Trying to locate one and want to know what will work before buying something that is a mismatch.

Around 1983, I bought a new Feeler vertical cutoff for their copy of a DSM-59. It was, of course, cheaper than buying from Hardinge. I put it on my 1944 Hardinge ESM-59 and had to slot the three mounting screw holes to line up with the tapped holes in the lathe. But the recess for the bearing retainer was the right size. Recently, I got a Hardinge HSL, which shares spindle design with the 1960 DSM-59. The Feeler vertical cutoff fits the HSL and the original Feeler screw holes line up with the tapped holes in the HSL. So, Hardinge changed the location of the tapped holes between 1944 and 1960. I suspect that Feeler made a very close copy of the 1960 DSM-59. I don't know if they used USA screw threads, though.

Anyway, I have a vertical cutoff for the 1960 HLV-H for sale. It is in excellent condition and has a new blade. The recess for the bearing retainer is about 5.50" dia. and the bolt circle is about 4.88" dia., for 5/16-18 screws. Three screws about 3/8" longer than normal are required to attach the cutoff. It uses Empire T-shaped blades.

Larry

DSC02638.jpg DSC02640.jpg

I clicked on this post when I saw that Larry Vanice was the last poster. I don't have a Hardinge; I don't have a Feeler, so why should care? Because I know that Larry's response will be spot-on helpful. And it was. Thanks for all your help, Larry

Ron Hofer

I clicked on this post when I saw that Larry Vanice was the last poster. I don't have a Hardinge; I don't have a Feeler, so why should care? Because I know that Larry's response will be spot-on helpful. And it was. Thanks for all your help, Larry

Ron Hofer

Yep, Larry is most helpful. I have bought things from him that the OP's passed on and they were better than advertised.
If ShayBuilder passes on that cut off I am next in line!

Back