What's new
What's new

Hardinge model CW chucker- anyone familiar with these?

That version of the Hardinge chucker was shown (without risers) in a 1946 Hardinge brochure. I think someone posted about one on PM a while back, probably in the Hardinge section.

Here is the first chucker, from a circa 1918 catalog.

Larry

Chucker.jpg Chucker description.jpg

I found those threads, but those chuckers are HP5 models. They do have the thread chasing attachments, maybe that's the difference.

I'm also thinking the riser blocks are shop made, just don't look anything like original. Hard to imagine they would be are precise as Hardinge would make em.

Ironically, I once posted in the Hardinge forum about the feasibility of putting the headstock of the HC on risers. Seem to remember consensus was it would be very hard to do, but here it is.

I found those threads, but those chuckers are HP5 models. They do have the thread chasing attachments, maybe that's the difference.

I'm also thinking the riser blocks are shop made, just don't look anything like original. Hard to imagine they would be are precise as Hardinge would make em.

Ironically, I once posted in the Hardinge forum about the feasibility of putting the headstock of the HC on risers. Seem to remember consensus was it would be very hard to do, but here it is.

More than a few already-large-swing and seriously elderly "cone head" lathes were kept around for an ice-age after they had gone obsolete, they were so easy to elevate.

Trick was to place TWO idlers in the gear train to the QCB.

So long as their shafts were NOT in a straight line between the original gears, pitch diameter wasn't a big deal..just position for proper lash. The only FIRM need was matching tooth-form. They reversed direction, then UN-reversed it. Odd jobs were covered. Still had all the usual surfacing feeds and even threading.

A Frankenlathe of that sort, any size, cannot be pushed as hard nor fast as the higher-capacity machine purpose built to the greater capacity. But it can do a job well-enough given a bit of care and consideration for its nature that could not otherwise get done at all, so that worked.

Some paid for the nuisance work right away, or needed only one or a few special needs jobs in an entire YEAR to earn their floor space and contribute a profit.

The other plus was retaining customers as a "one stop shop" they could count on when no other shop in the area had the capacity.

"Some paid for the nuisance work right away, or needed only one or a few special needs jobs in an entire YEAR to earn their floor space and contribute a profit.

The other plus was retaining customers as a "one stop shop" they could count on when no other shop in the area had the capacity."

You need to go back to the short buss forums, You have been exposed as "A BULL SHITTER" AND HAVE NO PLACE AMONG CRAFTSMEN! wise up Bill!

Back