What's new
What's new

Hardinge taper lock bushing

Metalurgent

Cast Iron
Does anyone recognize this brand of taper lock bushing?
I'm changing the motor on a Hardinge CHNC retrofit and I want to use the same drive pulley but with a smaller shaft.
I went on Ebay to see a range of options, but none of the Dodge, etc. possibilities seemed to match. If I have to make one up, I will , but I'd prefer not to have to go that far or have to play games with a new pulley. Shaft on the one pictured is 1 3/8".

Hardinge chnc taper lock bushing - Google Photos

That is an oddball. Seems if you could match the angle, it'd be easy enough to modify an off the shelf bushing.

Just a guess, but that may very well have been made only by Hardinge.

Straight split reducing bushings for pulleys are available for most any size shaft and pulley bore. Or they are simple to make, leaving a gap for the key. With a keyed pulley and motor shaft, you will probably need a special key, either rectangular or stepped.

Larry

I was planning on dumping the DC motor and putting in an AC motor running off a vfd. I'm having second thoughts now since the lathe is direct drive with no gearbox and low speed performance with the vfd/ac motor is poor. Turns out the pulley is a standard 3v3 type and they're available all day, in any size, with any kind of bushing, everywhere. I was mistaken thinking the belts/pulleys were somehow proprietary Hardinge. A matching bushing is less of an issue now. I do appreciate the input.
Once I've figured out if a budget dc drive is even an option then I'll revisit this setup.

Back