What's new
What's new

Harrison L5A

hahnpv

Plastic
I have a Harrison L5A with a lathe cross-slide leadscrew I would like to replace. This is the version with the taper attachment, one end of the leadscrew has a splined end that can slide in and out of the feed from the saddle end and another end that is clamped with thrust bearings to the taper attachment.

I tried eBay with no luck. Does anyone know of a source for used Harrison parts, or an equivalent modern part?

Assuming that answer is "no" I'll start investigating fabricating one. Given the fine spline on one end I'll likely hack it off and press fit it into a new leadscrew.

thanks,
philip

Lathes.co.U.K.,tony may have one, I think it’s a standard spline so theoretically you could do it on the lathe with a bit of direct indexing,
I have a Harrison 12” swing (L6?) wish the thing had a wide cross slide but it’s short with an Ali cover
Mark

We have a Doall (Harrison). I did just that, purchased a precision ground acme from McMaster and mated the spline to it.
Had to make a new nut also. The original is inch tpi but metric od.
Made a new nut for the tailstock also, That was a double start, same deal, inch lead and metric od.

Dave

Back