What's new
What's new

Harrison M300 apron bellows 3d printed, will it work

Bill D

Diamond
Harrison M300 lathes are known for a leaking apron shift lever boot. Over $100 from the 600 group. I see someone in Britain is now 3d printing them and selling on Ebay for about 20$ US. I know almost nothing about 3d printing. Will the material hold up to lube oil. no heat or anything harsh. just sitting below oil level at all times. The seller just says highest quality materials perfectly made etc. etc.
Bil lD.

Harrison M300 Remanufactured Apron Rubber Boot Bellows Gaiter SP1220R | eBay

I think so, there are many materials, I think it depends on the equipment, there was a lot of development at the local national lab, for the purpose of making replacement parts near the battle field. In a local article similar rubber dust protectors were shown with other parts.

Thanks Limi. looks like he has only been doing this for one year so no long term results yet. Then problem I see is no good way to clamp the boot over the shift lever. The factory used a loop of twisted wire. A hose clamp would be too large and could cut where it rubs other portions of the boot. On mine I took off the from plate of the apron and bored the hole the boot sticks through so it is big enough to remove the entire boot and washer.
On mine I made a new washer with a bigger inner bore and used a silicone baby bottle nipple. I found out there are about 4-5 standard nipple mount styles and sizes. Nothing was a perfect fit but I found one with a flat flange mount that I had to reduce the diameter by 1-2mm. I had to have the boot outside the apron not inside like the factory boot. I have yet to figure out a good seal around the shift lever. The mounting screws still weep oil.
Bill D

If it's 3D printed rubber I can almost guarantee that it's a TPU (thermoplastic Urethane). Should have high tensile strength and elongation, and it'll be good for oil and grease if it's a polyester base (but poor with water). If it's a polyether base, it'll be just peachy in water but kinda poor resistance to oil and grease.

So, it's a bit of a crapshoot but polyester base is more common if I remember correctly. You might want to contact the seller and ask what brand of filament he is using.

Further reading:
Thermoplastic polyurethane - Wikipedia

Back