What's new
What's new

Harrison M300 following rest dimensions

AlfredQuinn

Plastic
Hi,

I am looking for the exact dimensions of a Harrison M300 following rest (travelling steady).

I am planning to make my own since i have more time than money and the few ones I found were all from the UK (I'm in Canada), so it would cost me more than 300£ to get one, which is kind of too much for me since 1£=1.75$ CAD.

If someone who has a following rest can send me the dimensions (or has one to sell for a good price), it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Alfred

I do not think the dimensions are critical except for the bolt hole spacing. No need for bigger then the max diameter it can swing above the apron. Make sure it will not hit the backsplash at maximum diameter. Mine will hit the shelf above.
Do you know what the factory ones look like?
Bil lD

I do not think the dimensions are critical except for the bolt hole spacing. No need for bigger then the max diameter it can swing above the apron. Make sure it will not hit the backsplash at maximum diameter. Mine will hit the shelf above.
Do you know what the factory ones look like?
Bil lD

Hi Bill,

Here's a picture of the travelling steady.

travelling steady.jpg

One thing I notice when I compare it to other steadies is that the converging point of the fingers is right above the middle the two bolt holes, when most steadies I found for other brands have an offset like this one.

travelling steady_emco.jpg

Thanks for your reply,

Alfred

The m300 is the only steady I know with the bolt holes horizontal. That may affect their location? The steady's center needs to end up at the spindle center regardless of mounting method. I have seen rear toolposts fro m300's mounted on dovetail mounts. I suppose a steady could be mounted there somehow, exactly behind the cutting tool.
Bill D

Well, I just found a place in the US that had this following rest, which was not even announced as a M300 following rest. I made an offer within my price range and it was accepted by the seller.

It is called Norman Machine Tools and is based in Baltimore I think.

Even if I did not end up making one, thanks for your time Bill, it's very appreciated!

Alfred

How much did you have to pay? I have never seen one for sale this side of the pond. I know the 600 group will charge your arm and a leg and your first born as well.
Bil lD

It cost me around 200 USD to have it shipped to Canada. And yeah, I did not even check with them, knowing that it would cost me the third of what the lathe is worth.

Back