What's new
What's new

Harry Homeshops $60 ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidScott

Diamond
Right now it's dropping the air temp into my shop 19F, 90 outside, 71 inside. Whenever it's hot here the humidity is below 30% and often it's below 20%. I already am pumping 300-500 cfm out of my machines enclosure so I didn't need a fan, just a wet pad in the window I use to let air in. It's just my first mockup to see if it would even work so now I need to make a frame, add some more pad to fill the window, I got about 3 times more than you see, and I think it's a keeper. It certainly helps keep the shop cooler.

AC.jpg

The 4" elbows are just spacers. I got them and a 10' section of 4" pipe to make the frame out of but just wanted to test it out to see if my idea was sound enough to proceed. Based on this I think I am just going to fill the window up with pad, I was thinking of making it bigger than the 16"x27" window but now I don't think I want to.

I have a lot of respect for Hispanic engineering, as long as it's non-loadbearing.

I am guessing you are in a low relative humidity area. Evaporative coolers were used extensively in south central Texas till AC became more affordable. It was just barely better than a fan in the window and contributed to mold and mildew problems. When I lived in Phoenix they had whole house evaporative systems that even utilized duct work like an AC system and they were very comfortable.
If the humidity goes up with a weather event your system will not work so well and you may have rust issues besides. If you are in eastern Washington where it never rains an evaporative system may work quite well.

Just guessing here but I'd say something like that in central NC would run about three days before every piece of exposed steel in my shop had a light coating of rust. Even with an AC unit there are times when I run a dehumidifier to get the humidity down.

Steve

I lived in Austin for awhile and this would definitely not work there. Lived is Tucson and the house had the oh so common evaporative cooler on the roof with full duct work. Any wood in the house would swell up when it was in use, all the doors would get a little tight.

I live on the east side of the Cascades where the Columbia River cuts through them, right where the desert begins. Humidity is definitely higher in my shop now, hopefully not too high. Might help reduce evaporation with my coolant.

If it doesn't work out I'm not out much, but it's pushing 100 out and it's still comfortable in my shop. Kindof the biggest issue is I use all-aluminum fixtures and it really helps to keep the temperature as stable as possible for accuracy, and of course the mill's electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back