What's new
What's new

Hartford J Head Milling Machines?

Jason280

Aluminum
I've been looking for a decent deal on a Bridgeport style milling machine, and found a potential deal on a 1980 Hartford J head clone. Here is a quick description:

"220v single phase, Teco Variable Freq drive, Fagor DRO (needs x axis DRO rail as it broke during move $35), Lighting Lamp, some back-lash in the Y axis needs a new brass worm screw insert $50)...... all ways are tight, no shims are being used, new spindle bearing installed about 2yrs ago"

Milling machines are few and far between here in Georgia, and when you can find them, aren't usually cheap. This one is $800, with the only real issue is its about 12hrs away and I have to coordinate loading it once I get there. Do these have provisions for any type of lift ring?

My current mill is a smaller Grizzly G0704 with power feed and DRO, but I have already run into a few issues where I needed a more robust machine.

Any reason to pass on this particular mill? I am not familiar with the Hartford name, and assumes its a Taiwan manufacture.

I was wondering the same thing. Surely can't be a scale - perhaps it is some sort of support for the scale?? That or the seller is selling more than a machine ...

I agree. I mean I am not even sure if a backup spar would cost that. Maybe just a right angle piece to "protect" it?

Jon

Back