What's new
What's new

Has anybody had a Starrett automatic center punch that works?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I have several Starrett automatic center punches #18-A and #18-C that only work about once in ten tries. Is this normal or are they just junk. I keep adjusting the tension on them and they will work for one or 2 punches then don't work again. Are they a waste of money? Is there any automatic center punch that is reliable?

I dislike them but they always work for me.
I prefer a small hammer and a manual punch
Automatics would jump on me if I wasn't paying attention

I am imagining they are dirty internally unless newer ones are junk

The one I had access to years ago always worked just fine, but I prefer the manual method also so I have never owned one.

The only nice thing about an auto IMO is they can be used in places where you may not be able to get a center punch and a hammer into.

I also have two and use them both, but a nice sharp hand held punch works better, IMHO. They must be clean and dry inside to work properly..no oil or gunk.

Stuart

Never had any problems when they were around. I have never seen one have any trouble. I suppose they can wear out yet I have never encountered it. Having a good manual punch and Ball peen hammer is good.

I've cleaned and reassembled mine more times that I can count its operation is flakey at best.

It worked great until it didn't!

Sent via CNC 88HS

All my Starretts work, but I have a General that does what you describe. If I thwack the end of it on the bench, it works.

I have a Starrett that works most every time. I too have had to give it a "thwack" on rare occasions. I also prefer a sharp punch and hammer but the automatic comes in handy when you are holding some sort of magnifying device in one hand.

The only nice thing about an auto IMO is they can be used in places where you may not be able to get a center punch and a hammer into.

Yahbutt

If'n you can't reach it with the punch and hammer, watcha gonna do to it once its punched?

Actually the best reason is when you do not have two hands free

I have owned Starrett and almost every other brand I could find.

(I used to help my Dad with his Avionics business when I was a kid.
I learned to solder, make aircraft control panels, and layout & rivet mounting trays before I could drive)

Most auto punches work for a while, then, just die!
Cleaning and reassembling them doesn't seem to help.
They are convenient, but a hammer and punch work every time.

i'm a sucker so i have a small top drawer full of various iterations of auto center punches, starrett included, pretty much all junk. the only one worth even bothering with is an old general brand i believe.. probably a garage sale find.. i probably just got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cleaned and reassembled mine more times that I can count its operation is flakey at best.

It worked great until it didn't!

Sent via CNC 88HS

I’m dying from the sent via cnc 88hs

On the topic even the el cheapo auto center punches have worked every time for me. I didn’t know they were adjustable and I have never taken one apart.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I’m of the opinion that starrett does not really make the greatest stuff. It’s not bad but also not the best.

Sent via Mazatrol

I've still got the " Moore & Wright " auto punch my dad bought me in 1966. I used it the other day, it still works great. They do have their advantages but most of the time I preferred a hand centre punch and a 1/2 lb toffee hammer.

Regards Tyrone.

No Starretts, but I have two or three Generals and they always work. The only reason why I ever try adjusting them is for a lighter punch. They just work.

My latest purchase is an aluminum General. That caused some concern on my part as I know that they depend on some friction to function, but it has worked 100% for 5 to 9 years now. Perhaps the critical parts are steel.

I also purchased two or three from Harbor Freight to keep in my truck and SUV for emergencies. They worked when I bought them but that was some years ago and perhaps I should test them again.

Back