What's new
What's new

Introduction and Clausing DP question

E. OMLAND

Plastic
Hi all the name is Erik, I've been lurking around here for a few years and have found the site to be very helpful and informative. I've been working as a machinist in the fenestration industry for about 10 years. Currently I'm the maintenance/machine shop director for another fenestration company in NJ. We're currently running 3 RhinoFab machines (100,900, and 950 models), and an Elumatec 122/75 with a 628 model on the way. There is also a Haas VM2SS inbound which I'm super excited to get my hands on. I have a few vintage machines in the tool corral for odd jobs and prototyping some more simple stuff. One of which is an early 80's Bridgeport 2J2. The other is a Clausing model 1684 drill press that I'm about to add a double drill head to for a specific operation. And that leads me to my question. In several places I have seen and read that the Clausing spindle has a #3 Morse Taper. For the life of me I cant figure out how to get it out. It has the #33 jacobs taper with the collar nut and I HAVE been able to get that apart. But getting the #3MT to #33JT adapter out is defeating me. Does anyone here know what I'm missing? There is no place in the Quill to put wedges. The spindle is solid, so I can't use a long drift to knock it loose. I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide.

Good thought on the Over retract idea. I'll give that a shot. As far as the manuals and such, I actually spoke with Clausing directly and they supplied me with a PDF but it was not specifically for my machine. I've also looked through a bunch on Vintage Machinery an had no luck. Even watched a few Tubalcane vids but they didn't directly cover what I'm after. Someone on this site has to have one like it, and has taken that taper out before! haha

Here's a pic of the machine

IMG_0172.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

Good thought on the Over retract idea. I'll give that a shot. As far as the manuals and such, I actually spoke with Clausing directly and they supplied me with a PDF but it was not specifically for my machine. I've also looked through a bunch on Vintage Machinery an had no luck. Even watched a few Tubalcane vids but they didn't directly cover what I'm after. Someone on this site has to have one like it, and has taken that taper out before! haha

Here's a pic of the machine

View attachment 253728View attachment 253728

1684 does not have a Morse taper the catalog.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAPegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1loIX6QgAu2JpI7PoVq04_

The Morse taper spindle is much longer as shown in the photo.

IMG_5980.JPG

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely was feeling like I was barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely was feeling like I was barking up the wrong tree.
I have a Rockwell 17" VS drill press that was sold with a choice of the 33JTC spindle or a 2 Morse taper spindle. Mine had the 33JTC when I got it, but I wanted the Morse taper, so I took the spindle apart and made a new one from a 2 Morse taper extension. The machining was very simple on mine, but I don't know what is inside a Clausing.

Note that the 15" Clausing machines that were designed for either 33JT (1/2" chuck) or Morse spindles were 5/8" capacity machines, so the Morse option was 2 Morse, and not 3 Morse. Drilling two holes at once means you have to consider whether the driving parts can stand the load without breaking or slipping.

Here are pictures of the Rockwell spindle parts. As you can see, the long shaft that is driven by the pulley does not need to be replaced.

Larry

Rockwell 17 DP Spindle 1.JPG

If you can settle for a 2MT there are adapters from 33JT to 2 MT. I have one for my Clausing. It is held on with a locknut just like the JT33 chucks. I rarely see them on eBay.

Back