What's new
What's new

Has anyone pulled the headstock off a Colchester round head?

Pyrex

Aluminum
I'm in the middle of restoring a 1968 Clausing Colchester Master Mk1.5, the lathe is pretty much stripped to the castings but I have yet to unbolt the headstock from the bed out of the fear of alignment issues. I'm curious if it's worth the hassle to remove, and the consequences/difficulty of getting it back in alignment once it's reinstalled. I'd appreciate any insight.

Yes. A mid 1950 era Colchester Dominion. That's the Canadian version of the round head Triumph. Don't recall why I did, but was no issue to re-align. Not sure if same design as the smaller Master, but probably similar.

Why do you need to remove the headstock?

L7

Yes. A mid 1950 era Colchester Dominion. That's the Canadian version of the round head Triumph. Don't recall why I did, but was no issue to re-align. Not sure if same design as the smaller Master, but probably similar.

Why do you need to remove the headstock?

L7

Easier to clean and paint the bed. Also makes it feasible to lift the bed off the cabinet without a hoist. I don't need to do it, but it would make things easier.

I did a 1968 Colchester some years ago. I found no need to pull the headstock, and felt it was more sensible to leave it 'as is'. I didn't want to risk all the things you mention for no reason. I was able to clean it up just fine and ran it for 15 years before I gave it to a friend who is still using it. Pic from 2004....

disassembled.JPG

I did a 1968 Colchester some years ago. I found no need to pull the headstock, and felt it was more sensible to leave it 'as is'. I didn't want to risk all the things you mention for no reason. I was able to clean it up just fine and ran it for 15 years before I gave it to a friend who is still using it. Pic from 2004....

View attachment 273942

Well, that's exactly what my lathe looks like right now, haha.

The roundhead Master and Student have 6 bolts from under the bed.....take off the clutch/switch bits,if they are still there, remove the quadrant ,undo the 6 socket head screws ,and lift off the head.No tricks,nothing hidden.

The roundhead Master and Student have 6 bolts from under the bed.....take off the clutch/switch bits,if they are still there, remove the quadrant ,undo the 6 socket head screws ,and lift off the head.No tricks,nothing hidden.

Now when I reinstall it, how exactly do I get it on there straight, or do I just need to spend a few hours with a dial indicator and an allen wrench?

Yep ,thats it.....at least they are easier than the Bantams,because you leave the motor operational for test cuts.......before doing that ,I would check the spindle bearing adjustment.....not saying do anything to it,but check for play....The rear bearing is originally self adjusting via springs,so only the front pair.

Back