What's new
What's new

Has anyone seen this pump before or know how to determine the make and model?

viragocafe

Plastic
The pulley is about 19" in diameter, overall size is 26" tall, and 23" wide from cylinder head to head, which are about 7" & 8" in diameter.The photos he had showing the other motors and pump, which looked almost identical just slightly smaller said Pneuway / Kohlbach. But searching online is not pulling up info on either manufacturer names in regards to compressor pumps. I bought this pump and was told it was a MAX MSV 40, but it is massive nearly as big as the 25hp motor sitting on the shop floor next to it. The MAX MSV 40 is supposed to be a 10hp pump but I am not sure if that is this pump. The online photos of the Schulz max is slightly different looking. This pump was supposed to be a new / old stock pump, but the guy spray painted it and covered any labels it may have had. I am concerned putting a new 10 hp motor will be undersized and burn the motor out.

compressor pump MAX MSV 40 (3).jpgcompressor pump MAX MSV 40 (2).jpgcompressor pump MAX MSV 40 (6).jpgcompressor pump MAX MSV 40 (4).jpgcompressor pump MAX MSV 40 (5).jpg

continued

Here are casting numbers from base of cylinder, and photos of smaller pump the guy was also selling showing the Pneuway logo

compressor pump MAX MSV 40 (1).jpgcompressor pump MAX MSV 40 (7).jpg

Here is the actual Schulz MAX MSV 40 pump

Bloco-MSV-40MAX-540x540.jpg

Pretty scant info / if all else fails
Take a cylinder head off and measure bore & stroke and work out the CFM and from that establish the power required to drive it.

P.S. If it's stood for a long time and or been painted without proper precautions, it's odds on favourite you'll be taking the heads off to clean the valves anyway.

It's not a harbor freight pump

Looks like standard HF "5-hp replacement pump"
5 HP 145 PSI Twin Cylinder Air Compressor Pump

I have one of their largest ones on an old crappy compressor, and this pump is probably 3 times that size. I picked that HF pump off the ground by myself and set it on top of the tank when it was installed without any issue. This pump I can't even rock it from side to side barely or even slide it an inch across the concrete. It required us to use a 1000lb gantry to get it off the trailer when we got it back to the shop and that gantry felt like it was straining. This pump is practically a 2'x2' solid block of cast iron / steel and probably weighs around 3-400lbs and looks like it should be paired up with the 25hp heavy duty motor it is sitting next to on shop floor.

I don't understand why I can't find this company or get info on them searching online. I think this manufacturer Pneuway / Kohlbach S.A. of the 25 hp motor also makes these pumps.

Motor 25hp Pneuway (3).jpg

Looks like Kolbach is a motor maker in Brazil to me. that may be a compressor duty motor and no relation to the pump maker at all.
Bill D.

Yes, the label on that 25 hp motor says Kohlbach S.A. is a company in Brazil that appears to import to a partner company probably, Pneuway in Stanford, CT in USA. That identical but smaller pump mounted to the tank has a sticker that say Pneuway. But neither companies come up on a search having anything to do with compressors, pumps, or motors which is weird. I didn't know there was a company that's been around since 1985 you could not find something about online. But apparently this company is a virtual ghost besides 1 small search engine that appears to be referencing companies in south america only, which lists their name as a Brazilian company and nothing else.

Motor 25hp Pneuway (3).jpg compressor pump MAX MSV 40 (7).jpg

Attachments

• compressor pump MAX MSV 40 (8).jpg
    compressor pump MAX MSV 40 (8).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 44
I suppose you realize its a 2 stage unit,and that cuts down the capacity by nearly half over a similar sized 2cyl single stage unit....so it may well be 10hp with a 2+ to 1 reduction in the pulleys.A 2 stage unit will generally produce 5cfm/hp rating of the drive......remember it may be rotation sensitive,and also dont over rev the unit.....Recover the plate detail with care.

Your part number looks like a casting date 18.8.84. The format suggests foreign manufacture.

I'd make sure not to spin the pump more than 900 or so. Amp clamp the motor and watch the pressure gauge. If you are pulling to many amps as the pressure builds go to smaller pulley or live with less pressure.

Doesn't look like a very fancy compressor to me. No unloaders, splash lube. 300 pounds would be extremely light for a 20HP recip pump. Also, two V-belt grooves suggests to me it's more like a 5HP pump.

I have one of their largest ones on an old crappy compressor, and this pump is probably 3 times that size. I picked that HF pump off the ground by myself and set it on top of the tank when it was installed without any issue. This pump I can't even rock it from side to side barely or even slide it an inch across the concrete. It required us to use a 1000lb gantry to get it off the trailer when we got it back to the shop and that gantry felt like it was straining. This pump is practically a 2'x2' solid block of cast iron / steel and probably weighs around 3-400lbs and looks like it should be paired up with the 25hp heavy duty motor it is sitting next to on shop floor.

Shape, size, motor size plus description reminds me of a 40-Ton rated Worthington reefer that assisted a US Army / Air Products A1 or A2 one ton per day Liquid Oxygen plant get its distillation column cold enough to begin its work.

Design was Korean War vintage, and working fluid was refrigerant R22 though. Not air.

I had a 1960's monstrously large and heavy IR pump, 3 stage pump with a 3 groove sheave and was originally set up with only a 4.5 hp motor.
The sheave probably weighed 125lbs alone.

Not sure you can do size/weight of the pump equals HP required to power it.

Back