What's new
What's new

Has anyone seen this type of rubber bushing arrangement?

rustygreen

Aluminum
This knuckle is part of the suspension system for a shaking machine. The machine was rebuilt 5-10 years ago, not by the manufacturer, so I'm not sure if this is original. It gets constant usage and it hasn't held up well.

The threaded center goes all the way through, and it looks like it was pressed in with 4 pieces of round rubber stock. Is this a reasonable arrangement? Or should this be molded solid?

The square tubing is about 2 1/2 inches. If I try to rebuild these, any guess as to the tonnage that would be required to press this out, then back in with fresh elastomer?

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 379
That type of arrangement is used on pleasure boat trailers. Some have a cross shaped center axle with four rods or a square section axle with rubber bonded in the open space. I would think the tonnage to press out the current center section wouldn't be to bad < ten tons depending how long the part is. The secret to getting a lasting rebuild would the right rubber. Dexter Axle builds torsion tube axles and they may be of help. Have you contacted the OEM, they do not look expensive to build.

Yup on the trailer axle. They even make stub axles, with about a 1' segment for welding to frame, with no complete cross-axle. Which means you can buy one easily, if you want to 'wing it'.

We rebuilt a shaker conveyor system......the OEM rubber mounts were something like 10x the price of a visually similar item.........so we went with the cheap item.........they lasted about six months.....and I had to replace eventually over a hundred of these blocks in a confined space under the shakers with filth and dust everywhere. The genuine blocks had lasted years.

We rebuilt a shaker conveyor system......the OEM rubber mounts were something like 10x the price of a visually similar item.........so we went with the cheap item.........they lasted about six months.....and I had to replace eventually over a hundred of these blocks in a confined space under the shakers with filth and dust everywhere. The genuine blocks had lasted years.
Trailer people tell me that the torflex (and similar) suffer in cold weather
from being stiff.

Aftermarket car suspensions use polyurethanes, much better.
So I suspect the OEM from the conveyor company was a little more
engineered (like using polyurethanes) than the off the shelf trailer
components.

Failure mode suggests that some sort of void bush arrangement would be better suited to the loads involved but that sort of arrangement needs to be rather larger. Worth looking into if there is room.

Solid "rubber" and "rubber-like" materials are very non-linear. Its easy to build up ridiculous localised stresses in something that looks perfectly innocuous. Voids locally tune compliance to control such stress build-up but, inevitably, reduce stiffness in certain directions.

Clive

Since what you're replacing seems to have been a kludge, here's another:

RUBBER PLATE COMPACTOR MOUNT replaces WACKER 2944 SET OF 4 | eBay

A set of these will handle a couple thousand pounds of oscillating force in a "Wacker." Might be adaptable to your application. The thread doesn't go all the way through, but is embedded in elastomer. Typically takes a 1000 hours or so before they start tearing apart (though not sure of the quality or longevity) of the linked item.

Back