Has anyone tried out these new Kurt DX6 vises? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    The right vise is pushed all the way back, the left vise is all the way forward - did you not read what I said?

For the people wondering if the subplate is off - all I can do is shake my head at you.
    Yeah because that's how you get people to help you more.
    Rule#1 when asking for help/advice = don't be a dick.

2. Likes npolanosky, digger doug, eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just ordered a dx6 - my first Kurt. I suppose I’m not surprised with the OP’s harsh attitude and then NOT following up with what he found or what Kurt did. I suspect he found his own mistake and fixed it but is still angry. The web is full of truncated hack reviews of people not even using a product correctly yet publicly complaining.
    I replaced a poor import with a used Yuasa, and now that with a new Kurt. I sure hope my experience(read: attitude) is better!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BSCustoms View Post
    We too are overall less than happy with new Kurt vises and after speaking with the salesmen at IMTS I am even less happy. They were not able to answer even the most simple questions without referring to a catalog. This is the biggest show in North America and your time to show off. Do your homework and maybe some practice speeches. At least try to bullshit me.

About 8 years ago I bought a Kurt 6" vise. Not sure of the number but I've never been happy with it. No mater how it is adjusted or set up, the jaw always lifts when tightening so that I have to use a dead fall hammer to tap the work down to the parallel.

It's OK, I guess and I can live with it, but after hearing how wonderful they are, I am disappointed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    It's OK, I guess and I can live with it, but after hearing how wonderful they are, I am disappointed.
    Every place I have worked at used Kurt vices. Not knowing any different/better I just treated it like a "feature".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Every place I have worked at used Kurt vices. Not knowing any different/better I just treated it like a "feature".

That's looking at the rosy side. LOL.

BTW, I know that I'm not alone on the Kurt Vise jaw lifting "feature". I've been reading about it for years, here and elsewhere.

They should add a line to their instruction manual:

"After tightening your Kurt vise, you may notice that the jaw has lifted so that the front parallel is loose. Do not be concerned. This is a safety feature to remind you to check that the work is tight in the vise before doing any machining."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a nearly new 688 at home I would happily trade for 2 Dx6

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More likely the O.P. discovered that he fucked up somewhere and felt like an idiot, so didn't post an update about what he was doing wrong. I've used a lot of Kurt vises and never had one with a discrepancy as large as he's describing.

Regarding the movable jaw lifting: have any of you ever used a vise where the movable jaw didn't lift at all with 100% certainty? I certainly haven't. It is always standard practice for me to give the work a couple taps with a dead blow after the vise is tight unless I'm doing something where I'm rapidly switching parts and that doesn't need to be dead nuts like drilling a bolt hole where I don't mind a thou or two misalignment.