What's new
What's new

Have you done Chemical Conversion of Aluminum (Hex or non Hex conversion)

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I am looking into the possibility of having the in-house ability for aluminum surface conversion treatment for some of the parts we make. We focus on small quantity of parts usually fast turn (days) for R&D. One of the customers want to have their aluminum parts 'Alodined' rather than painted or polished.
From what I have read:
Hexavalent Chromimum conversion (type 1, Trade name alodine): Chemically Very bad stuff, usually requires heated baths, gives the yellow/gold color. Different process for class 1A and class 3
Trivalent chromium conversion (type 2): not nearly as bad chemically, doesn't seem to require heating (although Henkel systems do seem to use heating). No process change for Class 1A and Class 3. Pretty much colorless finish. Not as durable as the type 1.

Comments
1. Parts are usually smaller than 12" x 6" x 3"
2. It would be low quantity (a hand full of parts a month)
3. I am considering doing it because of the lead time addition for sending it out, since they want fast turn around.
4. Most aluminum has been 6061
5. I have no intention of offering this as a service to external parts, just what I make.

Is this even worth considering or is it just a big PITA?
Do any of you do it and have a recommendation for a system? It seems like Henkel has many options of chemicals for each of the steps.
I would like the trivalent method, hazardously speaking, but I do think the customer will be slow to grow on the idea of the aluminum parts not being 'gold'.

Thanks for any insight!

Alodine is about as easy as you can possibly get for any type of coating..

Stick in liquid..

Wait a bit..

Take out of liquid..

Rinse...

Done...

Its not really a horribly nasty chemical. If you get it on your hands, you aren't going to die.
You don't need specialized equipment... Incredibly simple, though it has gotten a lot more
expensive than it used to be, though its still pretty darn cheap, the last bit I got was enough
liquid to make a 100 gallons for around $400.

Hello,
Do you use the Henkel products? Do you have an issue with customers asking for 'proof' the coating was applied?
Thanks
Dave
We do not use Henkel products, I'll ask today what chemicals we use. I bought a line system and they engineered the process for us. I think the total setup cost about $40,000 to install.

We had to get nadcap through Boeing but our other customers don't ask because we are as9100 and ISO. They get a copy of the traveler if they ask for it and it shows the time, date, data, and NDT of the part with the process. It's obvious which parts have type 2 and those that don't.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Alodine is about as easy as you can possibly get for any type of coating..

Stick in liquid..

Wait a bit..

Take out of liquid..

Rinse...

Done...

Its not really a horribly nasty chemical. If you get it on your hands, you aren't going to die.
You don't need specialized equipment... Incredibly simple, though it has gotten a lot more
expensive than it used to be, though its still pretty darn cheap, the last bit I got was enough
liquid to make a 100 gallons for around $400.

Do you have a product/product line you recommend? I keep seeing the Henkel Alodine 1201

I also found this in the manual listing the recommended chemicals for each step.
Just trying to figure out what all I would need

Alodine 1200S.jpg
Thanks!
Dave

Back