What's new
What's new

Heads up. Scammer alert in the classifieds

Andy_paul

Cast Iron
I spoke with the buyer. His bank was able to contact him and he called me. It was a mistake on his part so I apologize and eat my words.

Last edited:
The amount of the purchase would definitely dictate if I would think it was an honest mistake or on purpose. Heck, I think I last used a check over 10 years ago, I could probably forget to sign one, especially if my cat kept jumping up and down off my desk.

Look at his user page, he hasn't been here in 9 days and his last couple posts were many months apart. If it was my call I would give the guy benefit of the doubt. I come here daily and also check e-mail a couple times a day, but my customers mostly communicate by e-mail and I have found a few customers here, and I have bought things from sellers here. That is me,some people check e-mail every now and then, and come here at the same frequency. Maybe in a week the guy comes back and starts a "I was scammed by a PM seller" thread.

Look at his user page, he hasn't been here in 9 days and his last couple posts were many months apart. If it was my call I would give the guy benefit of the doubt. I come here daily and also check e-mail a couple times a day, but my customers mostly communicate by e-mail and I have found a few customers here, and I have bought things from sellers here. That is me,some people check e-mail every now and then, and come here at the same frequency. Maybe in a week the guy comes back and starts a "I was scammed by a PM seller" thread.

Well it's kind of ironic that that all his replies were prompt until the end. I also gave him my phone number, so a quick call or text could have handled the situation. Also I am sure he has been here, he hasn't made any posts. Activity means you did something not just lurk.

The amount was right at $200. Also, the checks were issued in 2018, and I got check 1004. Doesn't add up for a so called business.

Like I said, maybe he will show up and explain the situation, but I doubt it.

To me, it doesn't make sense to 'scam' someone with a genuine but unsigned check. I suspect it was inadvertent, and I suspect there is a valid reason why he's not responded. Last time I had a seller disappear it turned out he'd died! In any case you got your merchandise back so all that's left is to clear his name if he does get back to you with a reasonable explanation.

Many things can happen to make posting here a low priority in one's life. A couple of months ago we had a hurricane and I wound up spending over a week in a Dallas motel. I did take my laptop and did make a few posts, but not everyone would. Between that hurricane, an earlier one, and one that hit us about a week ago, I am way behind on my e-mails. I only hope I am up to date with my bills which are my first priority for computer time.

I don't suppose that this member lives in a coastal parish in Louisiana. That would explain a lot and we may not hear from him for months if his house and shop were washed away. Of course, there could be other reasons.

I agree that he probably got confused and 'signed' the check on the back instead of the front.

It's a bit odd....you seem to be at the far end of the scale on looking for 'scams', which is fine, but you were willing to ship an item without the check first clearing?

On maybe a related note about checks clearing and such.... I have a bill set up for auto pay, takes up to 5 business days to clear WTF? It's electronic, I would think 2-3 days max, if not instant like almost anything else you guy electronically....

I could see just sending out a package without waiting for the check to clear from a long time member. And, just because he posted pics of a shop doesn't make him reliable/honest what have you. Look at as9100d looked like he was up and up, with the exception of his constant pushing for anyone and everyone to get itar and shit... we know how that turned out...

I have bought and mostly sold countless items in the PM classifieds with zero issues for over 10 years. I recently had a user send me an unsigned check which I failed to notice. I gave the user a week to respond and all communication ceased. I had sent the package out, however UPS was able to intercept and return it to me. My fault for not scrutinizing the check or even waiting for it to clear before shipping. I had gotten a little lax from years of dealing with nothing but honest people in this forum.

The username is cpifer3. Been a member since 2012 with quite a few posts. Maybe he will have the nuts to come in here and explain what happened. Maybe it was a mistake but I don't think so.

Ok maybe he actually did make a mistake. It is pretty obvious when a check is not signed that there is a holdup. You say it might be a mistake and yet you mention his history and PM handle then explain how he is a scammer because he sent a unsigned check. Did the check have his company information on it? Is it a real check?

This looks like it is only a misunderstanding. Just be sure next time to actually verify your mode of payment is correct before you ship. If you had not intercepted the package in time you would be billing him now which would be your next step.

This is good for you to experience and learn really. No one here means to be mean about this yet these things do matter. Make sure before you might complain about someone that you yourself have done your duties properly. This feedback will be valuable to you if you are able to take it as presented. It is presented in a manner to help you understand and grow.

Well it's kind of ironic that that all his replies were prompt until the end. I also gave him my phone number, so a quick call or text could have handled the situation. Also I am sure he has been here, he hasn't made any posts. Activity means you did something not just lurk.

The amount was right at $200. Also, the checks were issued in 2018, and I got check 1004. Doesn't add up for a so called business.

Like I said, maybe he will show up and explain the situation, but I doubt it.

The way he acted is embarrassed and how you manage to save any attitude that is uneeded is your goal. You have to place yourself in the customer’s shoes. There is a saying and sets a tone for relationships with customers and it is. “The customer is always right”. Sure he still must pay for product and services. He might be a old fellow who had three dogs jumping on him distracting him from filling the check out and signing it. Too he may have had his wife or kids interrupting him.

Lighten up. You lost nothing.

Absolutely not! I've known Clint for many years and would stake my reputation on him. Always above board and honest as the day is long. As busy as he is, I'm thinking he was in his usual rush. He'll make it right.

And another thing.
There is no internet service at his new shop, so prolly by the time he gets home, he ain't messin' with the computer much.

Back