What's new
What's new

Heat Treat 4130 Tubing

Jmoncrief

Plastic
? I have a customer needing some 4130 tubing turned and heat treated to 150 KSI which i found to be 33.3 on rockwell C scale. The tubing needs to be .991 OD, 5/8 ID and it's 9.75 long. Can this be done with my oven or should I flame harden these? Not really familiar with this hardness.

EMJ catalog says

Hardening range is 1550 - 1600 F for water quench and 1575 - 1625 F for oil quench. A wide range of mechanical properties can be obtained by tempering between 400 and 1300 F

Not much mass there - 1.28 Lbs. You won't have any fiddle around time getting it in to the quenching medium

Last edited:
? I have a customer needing some 4130 tubing turned and heat treated to 150 KSI which i found to be 33.3 on rockwell C scale. The tubing needs to be .991 OD, 5/8 ID and it's 9.75 long. Can this be done with my oven or should I flame harden these? Not really familiar with this hardness.

How straight do they need to be? You may need to hang them while in the oven. You may have to heat treat first then turn or grind them.

4130 tubing is a pain to turn with good uniform surface finish. If I had to hit 0.991 OD I would definitely heat treat first then have it centerless ground to 0.991 then cut 0.1 over length and finish the ends on the lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are doing a bunch of these I would send them out, trying to get them all the same in a small furnace would be difficult.

Decarburization might be an issue, too. 4130 is barely hardenable without a severe water quench. A little bit of carburization might make it possible to do an oil quench. Just my WAG.

The spec is 33 RC, can this be done in 4130 with a simple heat and dip?
No draw back needed?
Bob

EMJ catalog has Mass Effect Data in back - First (smallest section) tempering temp is 900F - giving 331 Brinnell - over 33 Rc

I have to assume as quenched / no draw is over that

Example for 4142 is Thumbnail

Attachments

• 4142.jpg
    4142.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 506
Data suggests this section should water/brine quench to 50ish Rc from 1575°F and a 975-1000°F temper should have you in the 32Rc range.

I’d leave at least .125” ID and OD for finish machining (and maybe some bending first).

He may try a first piece to completely machined if he's home baking as the temper might have to go down to 950°F. Tempering below 950°F with this stuff would be unwise if it’s structural.

Good luck,
Matt

On edit, I should have added 150Ksi is asking some extra for this stuff, 130ish is the middle of the strike zone IMO.

Back