Heat treating without foil? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I understand the problem, the nichrome heating elements produce a scale on the wire that protects the wire from further oxidation. The fumes from anti-scale compounds attack the nichrome scale and significantly shortens the life of the elements. While it may be coincidental, I do have a small dead electric furnace where I used anti scale powder.

Are scale and decarb the same event? Can decarb happen without scale, or can you have scale without decarb?

2. Likes Peter Neill liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRobinson View Post
    I use powdered boric acid, sold as roach and ant killer. Heat the part up just a bit then dip it into the powder, which will stick to the hot part. When you continue to heat the part the boric acid turns into a thick liquid that coats the part. A water quench will cause the coating to crack and completely fall off. Oil quenching doesn’t always get rid of all of the coating, but what’s left is pretty easy to clean off.

Easy, effective, cheap, and available.

Dave
    This relates to OP as he is from UK:
    Boric acid and borax have become increasingly difficult to source here in Europe. Now classified as highly dangerous to reproductive organs and banned from sales to consumers. Interestingly EPA in US has not considered it much of a risk at all..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Boric acid and borax have become increasingly difficult to source here in Europe. Now classified as highly dangerous to reproductive organs and banned from sales to consumers. Interestingly EPA in US has not considered it much of a risk at all..
    I'm in Texas not the UK lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Highly dangerous? It used to be sold here as an eye wash for treating infections on the eyeballs. Powder in the walls when a house is being built completely eliminates roaches in the home at least for 20 years probably the life of the home. Think of all the really dangerous pesticides not needed.
    Reminds me of the California cancer warning on Deltronic pin gauges, who eats pin gauges!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

IIRC it's the fire retardant in cellulose insulation...
    Cellulose insulation - Wikipedia

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRobinson View Post
    I use powdered boric acid, sold as roach and ant killer. Heat the part up just a bit then dip it into the powder, which will stick to the hot part. When you continue to heat the part the boric acid turns into a thick liquid that coats the part. A water quench will cause the coating to crack and completely fall off. Oil quenching doesn’t always get rid of all of the coating, but what’s left is pretty easy to clean off.

Easy, effective, cheap, and available.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Highly dangerous? It used to be sold here as an eye wash for treating infections on the eyeballs. Powder in the walls when a house is being built completely eliminates roaches in the home at least for 20 years probably the life of the home. Think of all the really dangerous pesticides not needed.
    Reminds me of the California cancer warning on Deltronic pin gauges, who eats pin gauges!
    Yeah, sounds like california to me also. Given how commonly it has been used for everything it can’t be THAT bad. AFAIK part of the reasoning for banning it in EU was that ot has been used for everything without any preconsideration.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erstwhile View Post
    I'm in Texas not the UK lol

Dang, my bad. 🤣

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Erm.... Amazon UK.
    1Kg of pure Boric Acid for £9.99. Not that hard to get....

PURE Boric Acid H3BO3 1kg: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ss foil bags are.avilable from McMaster- no need for 50'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use SS foil in rolls the size of kitchen foil rolls, bought two rolls (minimum order) 15 years ago and still using the first roll !

The stuff is lethal - cuts fingers like there's no tomorrow - but it works !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    The ss foil bags are.avilable from McMaster- no need for 50'.
    I thought about bags but didnt want to be limited on size