Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    It'snot that at all. The post title is "heat treatment help", then the guy asks about modifying a damn spring and re-heat treating it with guesses about what the material is. I think the "asshole" replies are because we see this nonsense a more and more. Some idiot asks a stupid question (remember the guy wanting to make round tube out of square or viceversa? ) then they get pissed off when they get smart ass answers. And yes, I said idiot. It wouldn't be any different if I went to a professional photography forum and asked how to make a perfect print (or whatever terminology they use ) with my $30 walmart camera. I would be the idiot there and I would deserve the ass reaming I got from it.
    That's because these are really XY issues.

OP asks a question they think they want answered, when they should explain the root problem that led them to ask the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
    That's because these are really XY issues.

OP asks a question they think they want answered, when they should explain the root problem that led them to ask the question.
    Why the hell should they do that? Try it sometime and you will never ever get an answer to the question. Maybe the poster knows exactly what question he wants answered and maybe thatís why he asked it. Maybe heís not interested in a bunch of lame attempts to redesign his product based on limited information. Maybe if he wanted that he would have asked that. If you donít know the answer itís fine to just move on. Itís not necessary to write three pages to impress no one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adh2000 View Post
    I guess that makes you a total idiot per this thread. Likewise I've modified many springs for a particular application so I'm an idiot also. The OP is going to have trouble modifying a spring with .78 OD and .125 wire diameter. He will likely need to heat the wire red in order to move it. I've done that too and somehow it still had quite a bit of spring in it. Done right he'd have to take it to a heat treater and have the spring annealed or normalized and then re-treat it. Anyhoo, all this thread needs now is for thermite to climb on board and write three pages describing how he made a rifle spring in nam out of barbed wire and heat treated it using a book of matches and a magnifying glass.
    You know, if you cannot say anything good, don't post! I don't appreciate being called and idiot! Look at yourself in the mirror when you make such an statement. Generally one's that say such are likewise in themselves. Maybe I don't use proper ways to modify a spring in an emergency. At times when these things come up, I don't have access to a torch to heat up the end of a spring. Most of the time, I don't.
    So having said this, buzz off!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reread the thread. I didnít call you an idiot. Mike1974 did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk