What's new
What's new

heating oil in a machine

dian

Titanium
when its cold i have been heating the oil (80 liters) in the hydraulic grinder with a 100w bulb under the machine, otherwise the pump is stugling and shuts off frequently. (yes, i should have put 32 oil in there.)

how good/bad an idea is it to put a 60w bulb into the oil directly? oil resistant wires of course.

How about a sealed aquarium heater with a remote thermostat. they make electric heating blankets to wrap around oil drums. How about magnetic oil pan heaters for cars and trucks.

Although it probably won't kill you immediately, I don't like the submerged lightbulb idea at all.

Get yourself an automotive block heater and the appropriate low-voltage supply to run it from. Several types of block heater are designed for immersion in oil. None of them will fracture into nasty oil contaminating shards of glass and metal. With the exception of ones intended to be plugged in to an AC outlet (e.g., in Minnesota parking lots), they operate at a safe voltage even if you manage to shred the power cable running to one.

I like the imersable block heater suggestion. Warm oil in a gearbox that has shafts and cast iron above the oil level that is cold could create condensation.
I dont know if keeping the warm oil would help keep the humidity down in the gearbox. Or make it worst. The warm oil may radiate heat to the whole headstock.
My cincy lathe bearings would have been good if a small amount of water hadn't laid in the bearing bosses and caused pitting. Looking at the bottom of the gearbox lid. Dripping condensation showed where the water came from.
Depending on humidity levels where you live and how drastic temperature swings are you may want to consider this.
A dehumidifier in your shop may stop the issue. A heated shop is better but not an option for everyone. A heated shop and we wouldn't be looking for a way to heat the oil.
My lathe has a 4x4 inch lid on top of the gearbox cover to access/grease a shifting rack. I'm thinking a computer fan to ventilate the gearbox when not in use.
Can of worms.

thanks, but what can go wrong with the bulb in oil? there are plenty of electric devises in oil for cooling. i trust a simple instalation over soeme chinese gadgets, btw.

thanks, but what can go wrong with the bulb in oil? there are plenty of electric devises in oil for cooling. i trust a simple instalation over soeme chinese gadgets, btw.

Machine oil is not intended as an electrical insulator. That's a far different kind of oil. The additives are different.

Use an immersion heater, as many have suggested.

Satco S4886 50 Watt Frosted Shatterproof Finish Incandescent Rough Service Flood Light Bulb - 120V (R20)
I dont know if the shatterproof coating on the bulb is oil resistant. You cound put the bulb in an explosion proof fixture. It may get bulky. Just two options for the bulb idea.
The bulb could cook oil getting splashed on it and smoke. Even if off during running the lathe splashed oil would be on the bulb. Low wattage maybe.

The submerged heaters are engineered for the specific purpose so that would be my choice for heating the oil.
I would like something like a bulb in the air space in the gearbox to cook out humidity but I would worry about oil on the bulb
I worry about the greenhouse effect with warm oil in a cold shop in an enclosed box. Missouri is humid.
Your enviorment may differ.

magnetic oil pan heater...stays outside, no modifying machine at all.

Also make stick on bendable pads too.

looking at imersion heaters the problem seems to be that they come in several kw. what i need is around 100w.

How about a sealed aquarium heater with a remote thermostat. they make electric heating blankets to wrap around oil drums. How about magnetic oil pan heaters for cars and trucks.

I think the smallest ones are only 15 watts, you could probably dangle one down in the hydraulic oil tank and just leave it on 24-7.

Back