What's new
What's new

Heavy surface plate needs moving

Budget?

Plastic
Okay so I bought a Starrett surface plate, a Starrett 454 height gauge in the box, a box(Starrett as well) with 5 micrometers which are brown and Sharpe with one being a Starrett, and lastly a box full of stones of which I dont know what they are for exactly I just grabbed them. I paid $300 for all of it so IDK if I got a good deal or not. The problem is The stone is 2'x3'x6" and is 500 pounds. Its not in an ideal location to back a truck up to it so it would have to be moved over a dirt path. The guy I bought it from cant help me lift it so it would probably be just me moving it to my pickup. My idea is to make a stretcher like device that has wheels on one end and it would straddle the ledges of the plate to hold it better. After I get it to the truck, I would most likely have to put one side of the stretcher on the tailgate and lift on the other. I would strap the top before I lifted the back end so it won't fall off. If anyone has feedback tips or ideas that would be fantastic.IMG_20191230_124252.jpgIMG_20191230_124224.jpg
IMG_20191230_124118.jpgIMG_20191230_114759.jpg

IMG_20191230_123941.jpgIMG_20191230_114756.jpg and these are the last pictures and I forgot to mention the transfer punch sets I got aswell

Last edited:
Yea, I thought about that option with a lift but I don't want to imagine the effort of dragging the 200-300 pound lift with the plate

Get a thick rope or better yet a tow strap attached to what looks like a pallet and drag it out with the truck.
Lengths of pipe or just sections of plywood under the pallet-surface plate to smooth the ride.
John

Make a skid the size of the surface plate . Install a strap or chain that you can pull from your truck out to a paved road. Now you can use an engine lift. The skid can be 2x4"s with the front beveled so it doesn't push dirt. Double the 2x4's in front where the straps will be.

Ramp the surface plate down to a two wheeled wheelbarrow. If you pad the tray, the surface plate won't get scuffed up. Roll it down the path to the loading zone.

Got a couple of friends? Big husky ones that know how to work together and handle heavy delicate stuff safely?

If you have to move it by yourself I would suggest renting a drop-bed trailer (maybe $35 for the day) a sheet of plywood for a rolling surface, and some lengths of PVC (won't gouge the surface plate) pipe for rollers. Use a 2x4 as a pry-bar to "walk" the plate to the trailer and up into the trailer bed. Use some ratchet straps and/or rope harness to secure it up trailer ramp so it doesn't roll back on you. You want to avoid injuring yourself and damaging the plate so for around $50 it will be an easier task with less risk. I moved a much larger/heavier one by myself when I moved my shop. Getting that heavy plate OFF your truck in a SAFE, controlled manner is more difficult than loading it. Bed height of a drop trailer is less risk than the height of your truck bed when it's time to unload. I built a gantry type frame w/chain hoist wider than truck width so I could hoist the plate and drive off. Gantry frame was about $100 and could be dis-assembled for storage. That's a more expensive option but useful for future heavy lifts. Be safe, hope this helped.

I would rent or borrow an engine lift.

With lift on solid floor.....
lift and set the plate on a home made sled of 2x4s, stout rope or chain drag it to the truck and lift it straight up, back the truck under and set it on the truck.
likely cost 20 bucks for enough 2x4s and screws.
You might find a pallet for free to be part of the sled..

Yes need to lift it with chain or good rope rated for twice (or +) the weight. Many poly ropes are good only for 200 or so pounds. Clothes line for 20 pounds. Nylon rope 1/2" and better may be good. 1/2 quality nylon may have a load rate of 400 to 500 lift rating. Double up the rope would be good. Lift everything expecting it to fail so only the item could get killed. Avoid travel with a lifted item, straight up and straight down is better.

Some fine fiber nylon ropes are crap..If not good on knots and rigging pay that person (S)to do the moving.

Among all of the "you need to spend some money" ideas I think Larry has the best one, just have a tow truck (make sure to explain what you want done so they don't send a rollback or an auto-loader) pick it up with straps and set it in your pickup.

Steve

If you are in an area where you can find farm type tractor with a front end loader, problem solved. Tractors work in dirt and can deal with something like several hundred lbs. It would move the stone from point A to your truck with no sweat.

JH

If you are in an area where you can find farm type tractor with a front end loader, problem solved. Tractors work in dirt and can deal with something like several hundred lbs. It would move the stone from point A to your truck with no sweat.

JH

A tiny one can lift several hundred pounds. The bigger ones can lift several thousand pounds. Even my little tractor could handle that surface plate. That's how I'd do it.

20190716_115844.jpg

Back