UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$18 from Sunbelt.

Convertible Hand Truck | Sunbelt Rentals

Wouldn't do the lifting, but it would take care of the moving part.

I moved mine with a roll cab, but it was a cement floor...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    With lift on solid floor.....
    lift and set the plate on a home made sled of 2x4s, stout rope or chain drag it to the truck and lift it straight up, back the truck under and set it on the truck.
    likely cost 20 bucks for enough 2x4s and screws.
    You might find a pallet for free to be part of the sled..

Yes need to lift it with chain or good rope rated for twice (or +) the weight. Many poly ropes are good only for 200 or so pounds. Clothes line for 20 pounds. Nylon rope 1/2" and better may be good. 1/2 quality nylon may have a load rate of 400 to 500 lift rating. Double up the rope would be good. Lift everything expecting it to fail so only the item could get killed. Avoid travel with a lifted item, straight up and straight down is better.

Some fine fiber nylon ropes are crap..If not good on knots and rigging pay that person (S)to do the moving.
    Hardware-store rope is dangerous for this. For something that heavy, I would use nylon slings intended for hoisting, with guaranteed load capacities. They are widely available and cheap. I would also use screw quick links to capture the slings such that they cannot slip off the hook and the like.

From the MSC catalog: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...on&hdrsrh=true

Go to page 3327 of the MSC Big Book for the overview.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the idea of hiring a rigger.

Andplan ahead. Before unloading it at your shop, DO have a table or cart that will keep it at the elevated height of your truck bed so you do not have to lift it again for it's final location. Just slide it from one to the other. Hopefully you can back the truck up to the shop door.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I would rather not spend money on moving it unless I have to. I have some chain hoists. I was thinking I could drag it to under a tree then use the hoist to hoist. Does anyone have objections to that plan? "My" shop is a 72'x42' (Of which my dad has allocated me 20x20) pole barn with a large bay door and I have a homemade motorcycle lift table which I can adjust to my truck bed hight and move it with that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Engine hoist cherry picker perhaps rent for 50/60 bucks would be a better choice IMHO.
    buy one new for a couple hundred.

uses 60 to 100

SHOP EQUPMENT-engine hoist, 3 ton floor jack, engine stand - tools - by owner - sale

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Google "local piano movers".

I watched a 70 year old dude strap a fully loaded stand up freezer on his back and walk off with it.

Two piano mover dudes will laugh at the little surface plate.

7. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I come barring good news... I got it home safe and sound... We ended up clearing the path to the surface plate and using a section of scaffolding and a chain hoist we lifted it up and set it in my truck. If could not have gone much smoother.img_20200103_133856.jpg After it was in my truck I realized I had left to go pick it up in such a hurry I didn't have any of my straps so we used scrap wood to "wedge" it in the bed to keep it from moving.img_20200103_150438.jpg And finally, I got home and with a little persuasion I slowly slid it onto my rolling motorcycle lift.img_20200103_162449.jpg

9. Likes Dumpster_diving, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also was able to take a look in the basement of the house there... And I found many good things like Hardinge 1am collets or whatever it said on them, angle plates, another smaller surface plate, rotary tables, parts to what looked like a gingery lathe(aluminum castings), Many bits of tooling i.e.(Drill bits, endmills, reamers, horizontal cutters, arbors, and the like). I only had an extra $47 in my pocket so I knew I wasn't going to get anything else that trip. I saw there was a vertex rotary table that I was interested in so I offered $50 which he shot down immediately. I figured it was worth a shot but I didn't need a rotary table at that moment. Later I saw a dividing head... but not just a normal dividing head, a universal dividing head, A brown and Sharpe universal dividing head... I NEED IT. Of course, I didn't say that I kept my cool and said I was looking for a bigger dividing head but would think about this(let me tell you this one ain't that small) He asked me to make an offer but I didn't know were to start so I told him give me a number to start with so he said $50 and I said Would you take $47. I have a dividing head now img_20200103_164628.jpgimg_20200103_164643.jpgimg_20200103_164712.jpg

11. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good thing he didn't take you up on your $50 offer for the rotary table...

13. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Good thing he didn't take you up on your $50 offer for the rotary table...
    Yea I know hahaha

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are not a piano mover and I understand you don't want to spend a lot of money. Here's what I did to move 2000 lbs. and lighter pieces of equipment into my pickup truck. Get two straight grained 2" x8" x 8ft planks. Get two 1/4" x 2" wide x 16" long flat stock. Bend both pieces of flat stock at the 5" mark on one end at more than 90 deg. Drill two 3/8" holes thru flat stock to connect under the planks. Drill planks and mount bent flat stock under plank with 5" (short ) end facing down. Unhook your tailgate and slip the short ends of the flat stock into the gap between the bed and tailgate. Adjust your planks to the width of your load. Do a nice job on this part because you will use these planks a lot. I made mine 28 years ago and I still use them. Also use carriage bolts, round head on top of planks, to bolt up flat stock to planks. On the bottom cut off any extra threads right next to the nuts. If the gap is too narrow for the flat stock to fit you could use 3/16 thick flat stock, check gap first to see what thickness to use.
    The next step is to have some 1/2" nylon line and when you are ready to haul something up your planks just wrap your 1/2" line thru the open doors on the cab of your truck about 3 times, tie off in a square knot and now you have a pick point as the millwrights say. I have always used shackles, slings and a chain come-along as they are not expensive and you will only buy them once in your life. With your load at the bottom of your ramps wrap your sling between the ramps to your load, attach the chain come-along to your load and the far hook of the come-along to more slings to the rope around your truck cab. Connect the sling to the rope with shackle (have a couple different sizes on hand). Now you crank your come-along and your load goes up the ramps into the bed your truck. Have a few 1 1/2" slings with you. Have enough slings to go around your load 2 to 3 times and enough sling length to go up ramps. Also don't get one long sling, get many short slings. The reason for this is you probably won't have a long enough come-along chain to hoist in one go. You may have to tie off your load with more slings and then get another pick to finish going up your ramps. So many short slings is far more versatile. Also un-hooking your tailgate means you won't put a load weight on your tailgate, just on the hinge part and that is very strong and won't bend your tailgate. Hope this helps.

16. Likes Budget? liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just thought of this thread since the other day I used the above tractor to move my new ~1,000 pound (36" × 48" × 6") surface plate from the bed of the truck to the garage. I needed another few hundred pounds of ballast on the 3-point though. Luckily I have plenty of ballast weights.

screenshot_20200318-222811_gallery.jpg